Thank you

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:26 am

Thank you

Thank you for the add. I have a 1957 S-180 that I picked up a few years ago. I started tearing it down and apart a couple months ago. My plan is to put it on a motor home frame and set a old cargo box behind the cab.
Judd Oats
East Texas

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:37 pm

Re: Thank you

This sounds like you are making a lot of extra work out of your project. The IH 180 frames are very strong and suitable for a cargo box.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:37 am

Newer frame came with newer fuel tank and lines, newer brakes and lines, newer axles, newer motor and transmission, newer everything. This way WAY cheaper and easier to buy this all together than piece it together and then transfer it to the old frame.
I remove the cab and set it up on new frame......
Judd Oats
East Texas

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 am

What motor do I have here?
Attachments
last 45.jpg
last 8.jpg
last 7.jpg
last 6.jpg
last 5.jpg
last 3.jpg
last 2.jpg
last 1.jpg
Judd Oats
East Texas

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Are there any numbers stamped into that flat milled area next to the coil? Do you have the data plate that came with the rig?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:02 am

Red Diamond don't know the size

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 am

manicmechanic wrote:Red Diamond don't know the size

Nope, BD, most likely 282. It is the medium 6
Never go by paint color.
RD or RED would be bigger, have an almost flat valve cover and the dist would be down at cam level.
Easy way to spot the medium 6, if the dist is at valve cover level it is a medium 6 ONLY, that family was the only IHC to have that feature. However, if it doesn't have that, it could still be a medium 6. Very early versions had either a mag or dist driven off a gear driver generator driven from the timing cover on the left side of the engine, and some 50's engines in cabover trucks had a modified block with a dist drive at cam level Both of these variants are rare however, and the vast majority had the high mount.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:47 am

I do not believe the dist was stock up high.....the floor cover inside the cab had to be modified and cut for the distributor. So I believe it was lower as stock....
Judd Oats
East Texas

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:07 am

That goes with the engine having been replaced. The lower distributor was only made for a few years, and only for cabover trucks.
If you look at the block, just below where the dist shaft comes out, there is a large "pad" with bolt holes in it. There was a "window" cut in the block and a gear box that bolted on and was driven off the outside of the cam oil pump gear.
When that engine was designed, it was never designed for a dist to be driven off the oil pump drive, it had either a mag or a gear driven generator with a dist on the back of it. To be able to fit a dist driven off the oil pump drive, they had to extend it above the head to have enough room.
If you had the parts from the original parts, you could machine that block with a "window" and bolt the gear box and dist on.
All early versions of that engine family lack that boss on the block, so can't be used to replace the BD block in low mount dist.

Return to Introduce Yourself