1953 R110

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:46 pm

1953 R110

Hello from bradhuck...
Purchased a 53 r110 8' bed in Parker, CO a couple weeks ago. Dad bought for the kids 12 years ago and they worked on it one weekend (took all fenders off/hubs), and that was it. Has been inside for 12 years.
Was told "ran when parked", no rust out and body in pretty good shape. Was not a mouse party house! Electrical system, I have determined that along the way someone has converted the "Starting part" to 12 volt, and let everything else up to chance. Many wires are burnt. No longer a positive ground and new wires run to the starter switch and to coil. I will go with it to get it running so I know what kind of engine I have and then proceed with a 12 volt conversion as I seem to be at square one with the wiring.
Excited for the site and your advise. My 14 year old is into getting this thing going. We got the horn to honk with the battery charger...thats a start, was a good laugh. I will try to up some pics.
have you been here? http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com seems to have a good handle on electrical conversion stuff.
Brad

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: 1953 R110

Hello, sounds like a good find.

I would be careful with "just going with" the sketchy existing wiring. There' s real possibility of either damaging your gauges or even setting something on fire.

Looking forward to seeing some pics and your questions and progress reports.
Lots of good people and info on here
Welcome to the site
Gary
"How the heck did that happen?"

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks Gary... I will unhook everything and then get it started. I have a oil pressure gauge to put on. I already may have gauge problems as many wires show signs of getting too hot. I also think the truck had a small fire at one time, I noticed burnt rubber on the white parts of the spark plugs, many wires are fried. Tried to load some pics but file size too large, I need to get them compressed to post.
Thanks
Brad

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 pm

try resizing your pictures in the "paint' program if you have a window compute. About 60% generally works

Return to Introduce Yourself