My introduction

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed May 06, 2020 10:13 pm

My introduction

Hi, I’m a new member and hail from the Vancouver area. I retired in January 2019 and due to my long honey-do list, I promised my wife that I wouldn’t start a project until I had made a significant dent in the list... then one day last fall, a Craig’s List ad caught my attention. My wife said I had made good progress on the list, so I bought a ‘57 A100.

It is Canadian made, (no line sheet) came from Swift Current, Sask and the vin tag says it came with a BD240, so yesterday I was scraping the engine block and found that it is stamped with a B264 with block casting number 316277-R1. Is this a BD240 or?

The truck is in great shape body wise with just a little rust on passenger floorboards.

Richard
Attachments
0AC6A5D5-EF79-4A7A-9D56-EC330CA78405.jpeg
ps - (Effort x Determination2) + Time = Results

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed May 06, 2020 10:45 pm

Re: My introduction

Welcome Richard,
That should keep you out of your wife's way. Looks like a good start. I can't help you with the engine stamping but I'm sure someone on here can. Remember it is suppose to be fun.
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 07, 2020 11:34 am

Welcome!

Sounds like you probably have a 264 cu in engine, which is externally the same dimension as a 240. Do you have a picture of the stamping?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks, Here is the block stamping...
Attachments
EE8F13EE-200E-498D-8E6F-44FD7285D4DB.jpeg
Block stamping

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 10, 2020 10:18 am

Great looking truck! Welcome to the site!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 10, 2020 1:43 pm

I am also in the Vancouver area. Which city are you in?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 10, 2020 2:05 pm

Welcome, great looking truck. Body looks good, shame about the window screen. Shouldn't have a problem getting another though. Luke

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon May 11, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks for the welcomes...

My A100 is my first project in ~30 years; I took significant time off for family and career. In my pre-family days I went through several phases which included multiple 30’s-40’s Street Rods, 3-‘71 Olds 442’s (one W-30 4 spd & one W-30 Th400), and multiples each of GM, Jeep, Willy’s 4x4’s and 2wd’s. This is my first IHC.

To date I have removed the doors, front sheet metal, and box. I rebuilt all 4 door hinges and am getting ready to removed the cab from the frame. The frame has received significant attempts of repair in the past; large ugly chucks of 1/4” plate had been welded on both sides where the frt cab mounts to frame.

I have an ‘08 Colorado waiting to slide under it for a complete repower and suspension upgrade. The Colo wheel base is 3” shorter than the A100 (111” vs 114”) so I am thinking of taking the 3” out of the forward section of the box.

This will not be a quick build, but I do look forward to driving it by this Fall. My wife and I are still discussing the issue of retaining the fabulous exterior patina (me) or repainting (her) in the original colours.

Richard

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon May 11, 2020 10:07 am

harvester60 wrote:Body looks good, shame about the window screen. Shouldn't have a problem getting another though. Luke

I was in my local crystal auto glass store last month and asked about windshield availability. The owner looked up to the ceiling, rattled off a number, then typed it into his computer; he said “yep, 7 in stock in Edmonton.” He is slightly older than me, and an avid street rod enthusiast; I worked in the shop across the street from him back in the ‘70s.

Richard

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 12, 2020 10:38 am

I was in my local crystal auto glass store last month and asked about windshield availability. The owner looked up to the ceiling, rattled off a number, then typed it into his computer; he said “yep, 7 in stock in Edmonton.” He is slightly older than me, and an avid street rod enthusiast; I worked in the shop across the street from him back in the ‘70s.

Richard[/quote]

No way, that's awesome. I live in England, so i would have that luxury I just know that window screens are a lot more available across the pond. Looks like you have a great workshop too. Luke

Return to Introduce Yourself