My New '39 D2 Panel

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:20 pm

My New '39 D2 Panel

I recently purchased this '39 D2 panel truck from Wisconsin. Took a while to receive it as I had to get the tires replaced first, but I'm glad to finally have it in my possession and ready to get to work on it. It needs some rust repair and body work, but I plan to replace all the windows, get the doors to work, straighten the grill & right front fender, and look for missing parts to begin with.

The flathead motor is missing the head and the pistons & valves are filled with dirt. There isn't much left of the rusted oil pan and gas tank. I want to use the truck for towing camping trailers and car trailers, so I am considering doing a motor & trans swap into it, like maybe a 12 valve Cummins. Not sure if it can handle the weight of it, so still considering other options. I'll be looking to upgrade the brake system to large front discs as well, but want to keep the outside of the truck looking original as much as possible.
Attachments
39IHPanel New Tires.jpg
1939 IH Panel Truck

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Re: My New '39 D2 Panel

WOW! Cool starting point. I hope all your work goes well and you end up with a great rig, keep us posted, please!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks, I will.
I think I'll start a thread on my work with it the '40 and older section. Seems more appropriate than here, or in the travelall sections.
1939 IH Panel Truck

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Maybe look at a 4BT motor?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:13 am

I heard that they are not well balanced for the amount of torque they put out. 4 cylinder motors are inherently not well balanced compared to 6 and 8 cylinder motors. I'm not sure if it's worth the 300lbs savings. Not only that, but they are much harder to obtain. But I am definitely open to any advice I can get from people who have driven them, as I have no direct experience with them at all.
1939 IH Panel Truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:55 pm

I think what you are referring to is the fact that a 4 cyl engine does not have power overlap, were more than one cyl is producing power at the same moment. 6 cyl can but is unlikely it depends on valve timing.
An inline 4 generally has 2 piston descending, one on power stoke one on intake, and two ascending one on compression, one on exhaust. It is balanced it that respect, the rotating mass is going in equal but opposite directions.
Without a large rotating mass, this can cause the engine to shake. It can be mitigated by increasing the amount of mass so the power pulse is felt less. If done so, it make the engine slower to rev or fall but smoother.
IIRC the 4bt uses weighted "balance shafts" to help smooth it out. Fitting one ( a 4bt) would likely be much easyer then an inline 6 B. I prefer inline 6's but I remember the 6B 12valve had a block weakness in some of the blocks, with a tendency to crack at the lower end of the water jacket.
Your truck, your choice.

Return to Introduce Yourself