North Central Florida 1940 D-2

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:19 pm

North Central Florida 1940 D-2

Good Evening all, I have started working on a 1940 IH D-2 truck project and I found this site recommended on several forums, so I have made an account.

I was given a relatively intact 1940 IH D-2 and a fairly deteriorated 41 Chevy Deuce and a half, on the condition that I had to remove both from the property to make room for a new travel trailer. I can also go back and grab a 73 F100 whenever I have time.

My roomate and I headed out with his car hauler and a 12K winch. He went home with the 41 Chevy and I kept the 40 International.

Since it hasn't run since '84, I'm not going to attempt a matching #'s restoration, or even a stock restoration. I looked around the see what other vehicles I could source for free to build a Frankenstein hot rod or rat truck.

My options currently are a 87 Ford Bronco with a very clean looking 351W, (Previous owner looks to have built the motor up, but Im not sure on details yet.) This bronco is also sitting in the woods, and is free if I remove it.

My other option is an 84 F-250, with an International 6.9 IDI, a 4.10 Rear End and an 8' Bed. Again, free if I come get, and this truck has the added benefit of being the truck i learned to drive on at the ripe old age of 11. (Dad sold his old truck to the neighbors who drove it till the brakes rusted out then parked it on the back 40.)

My plan for now is to yank the Bronco out, remove the body, and inspect the motor & frame/suspension. If everything is OK, then I'll use that for the frame/drivetrain. If not, Ill see if I can make the F-250 work.

Progress so Far:

All sheet metal has been removed from the D-2, leaving a rolling chassis. I'm hoping to sell this, including the engine/transmission. I'd hate to see it go to the crusher.

Next step:

Yank Bronco, remove body, and get the engine to fire.

If anyone has any inspiration, questions, or concerns, I'd be grateful for any input.

Thanks yall!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:15 am

Re: North Central Florida 1940 D-2

Welcome to the site!
I have a cousin who put a D series body on a Blazer frame and it turned out well.
I like diesels, but I think it would be very difficult to fit the IDI inside the D hood.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for the input Dean!

Yeah, I measured the bronco frame and it seems like it should fit. I'm excited to get the Cab on there and see it start to take shape!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:57 am

Welcome to the site, Would love to see photos. Good luck, looks like you are going to have your work cut out. Luke

Return to Introduce Yourself