New in Colorado

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:08 pm

New in Colorado

Thanks for adding me. I’m currently working on a project pictured below. I purchased the body several years ago but never found a chassis for it and before I take my dirt nap I wanted to see it on the road! Didn’t know about this site until trying to find a couple parts for it. I will post in the want section what I’m looking for.
Thanks,
Porter in Franktown
A26FA809-B35E-4CA6-987B-F12D570B4B4B.jpeg
Attachments
3F618AA2-ED85-471C-AFDE-D183B4F40D28.jpeg
26BE3160-418C-43E9-9111-5939CB442CAA.jpeg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: New in Colorado

Nice looking truck, others will be interested in what chassis you went with and the things you did to overcome issues. Look forward to seeing what you need in the other section. Welcome to the group.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:25 am

Sweet looking truck! I'd also like to know more about the build.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks. It was pretty straight forward but I can see where one might get hung up on making a curved frame take the place of a straight frame. I came across a rolled 1977 k20 Chevy for the swap. The only body part I needed was the radiator support. It was cut at the ends and some of the middle was taken away (not the very middle, you’ll need isolator holes) to fit into the IH body. It uses the Chevy isolators to connect the support to the Chevy frame. Basically bolted right on in the front. The radiator is a Griffin race radiator part number GRI-1-55241-x. That is the only mechanical oddball part needed.

Using a couple portapowers I raised the cab with nose attached into position and measured for front cab spacers to the upward sloping frame section. Basically made a trianglular shaped pirtch. Rear cab sat on left and right frame rails using a couple lengths of 5.25” c channel iron as a pirtch. Bolted right to the frame and the original cab mounts. Front of bed sits up on a hockey puck each side and rear has 2 hockey pucks each side. Probably will add more in the middle at some point.

To compensate for wheelbase difference I had to lengthen the Running boards about 4.5”. Obviously you could just use modern side steps but I liked the original look. Outside of cutting in the hole for the rear Chevy fuel tank and steering column hole, this is really the only mod needed. Looks sporty without boards. I’m back and forth on this lol. This was all needed to align the rear wheels to fender so the tires won’t rub.

I went with vee three gauges so the dash was cut to accept the modern instruments. I’m running a gps speedo to lessen the hassles of gears and tire size caused issues. It is important to use a tilt steering column because a straight one will be in your lap.

Everything else I did was personal preference. 4” lift front springs, 1.5 ton rear springs. Custom shaft due to lift. 35” tires. 4.11 axles. 350 SBC, eddlebrock performer intake with 2” torque spacer, summit 600cfm carb (really nice for the money). Hydro boost brakes. Th350 with B&M torque converter and shift kit. I’m running electric pusher fan and puller motor fan with hot rod universal shroud. No issues yet with cooling. I converted the motor in heater box to a 12v. I found it on eBay and told the guy it fit perfectly into the 1952 l112 heater box so he is selling them for that application now. He’s also selling a switch. I put in a newport electric wiper motor, super easy swap and highly recommend for any 12v conversion. Jeep jk halo projector headlight kit. I installed a zeroxclub backup camera and iPod charger on the dash. I chose the EZ brand wire harness. Be sure to pair it with the steering column year/connector and tell them IHC lighting.

I learned by trial and error so hopefully this brief write up lessens the grief for others on a frame swap project. I get a ton of thumbs up driving it around town. It is our ranch truck so it gets used for bringing livestock to market. If anyone needs specifics my email is porteroden@yahoo.com. Not afraid to post my email it already get a million spams a day in that account.
Last edited by 5lbsina1lbsack on Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Just a quick warning and a little background on why this was a body only vehicle. The gentleman I purchased this from found it for sale east of me in a field buried up to the floors in dirt because it sat so long. Anyway he purchased it clean title and all but it was his responsibility to remove it. The easiest thing he found was to use an old dozer tractor he found on site and he decided to try and pull it out in the spring thinking ground was soft enough. Well, as you can imagine, it didn’t go so smoothly and Mr. frame was toast. Seeing trucks around here buried like this it might be a more common problem than one would think. Maybe dig them out, just a heads up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:01 am

You have a brilliant truck and some great info. Thanks for sharing it with us! Color looks perfect for the build, as well!

Return to Introduce Yourself