1947 KBS-5 in Fort Bragg, CA

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:54 am

1947 KBS-5 in Fort Bragg, CA

Hello all,
I am restoring a 1947 KBS-5, she's been sitting for nearly 10 years in the redwoods but is in remarkably good shape considering...every day brings new questions and new answers but I'm eager to learn. At present I'm having trouble even being certain about the motor type, clearly not the GRD233 indicated on the firewall tag, an overhead valve, likely a BLD250, but it doesn't look like the motor I see illustrated in the "K" and "KB" line manual as mine has a low distributor and the port for the radiator is forward of the valve cover, which has an angled corner to make room for it. I believed earlier today that it best resembles a Black Diamond which I understand to be a later engine type. But I cant find any verification of a Black Diamond that had a 250 displacement, (the bore on mine is 3 and 9/16ths, the stroke appears to be 4 and 3/16ths, the cubic inch displacement is 250.4417). It certainly does not appear to be a tilt-valve motor, despite the head gasket # being for a tilt-valve Silver Diamond. The "IH" man on tractor is embossed on the forward driver side of the block, no triple diamond logo, and I cant locate the engine number not knowing where to look and a lot of degreasing yet to do. The oil filter mount points downward. The original paint color on the block is black, if that detail even matters. I mention all this because I cant seem to locate a motor type that shares all of these characteristics in the books or online, although there seem to be a lot of other people having trouble with this similar issue and different motors, so the internet seems rife with more confusion and speculation than educated answers. I ordered gaskets for a black diamond motor this morning, sure hope they'll fit...it needs a new exhaust manifold as well, the casting came apart in several pieces. So, there are the puzzle pieces, I sure would be grateful for a definitive answer as I have parts to order! Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: 1947 KBS-5 in Fort Bragg, CA

Sounds like a small 6 (220,240.265) family. The BLD and BD medium six wouldn't fit out major re-working of the engine bay, a small six is almost bolt it according to others.
As to displacement, you measuring or math is off, and I bet it is a tilt valve 240.
Except for a very few medium six installed in cabover R models, all of the medium sixes had the distributor mounted over the valve cover, or on the back of the generator on real early models.
I know where the engine number is stamped on the medium and heavies, but on the small, I am trying to remember, I believe it is on the right hand side of the block (passenger side in the USA) near the front.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks so much, I sure appreciate having a direction to move in! I will investigate the 240 and search for the number on the block...such a resource, this site, thanks again, i'll let you know what I find out...I should mention the motor is a tight fit for sure, it butts right up against the firewall as it is...luckily as its still the weekend there's still time for me to change my head gasket order as well before its too late.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:06 pm

I have located the number casting on the block, on the driver side rear. ( "AG" over 69498 R1, although its tough to tell the difference between the 9's and the 8's as the way the 9 wraps around it looks 8 like), and another on the head 124475 R1 or RI. Is there a list somewhere that can pin down this motor for sure? I cant seem to locate one online...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:46 pm

Forget casting numbers, the numbers you want are stamped into a pad somewhere on the right side of the block.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Shucks, well, thanks, i'll give another look…(once i get her on the road i can have it home, meanwhile its a half hour away). sure appreciate the help…
Last edited by Seanhathorn on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Here is a thread that should have a picture of where that Pad with the engine number is located. : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8601&p=65756&hilit=kb+engine+number+picture#p65756

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 pm

oh, just got your link…
i'll give another look tomorrow, the post mentioned being on the driver side above the generator, is it any clue that the generator on mine is on the passenger side?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 pm

i gave a pretty darn thorough look at the passenger side of the block with no luck yet, as i said i'll check again tomorrow. i did measure the block front to back, it's 27 and a half inches if thats any clue at all…theres a post on the binder planet site distinguishing the difference between a silver diamond and a black diamond, my motor sure looks just like that black diamond, but i dont have a scale reference either. thanks for the help guys, tomorrows another day...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:29 pm

I found a few references online that indicated that the 124475 R1 is a small 6 straight-valve head casting, so that's probably what it is, but I couldn't back it up with a parts book.

You probably have an SD/BD240. The bore would be 3 9/16" and the stroke 4.018".

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
Next

Return to Introduce Yourself