C900 info???

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:08 pm

C900 info???

First GREAT SITE and long time lurker first time poster. Lets start by saying I'm a 29 yo father of 2 and combat vet recently released from the ARMY. I recently brought a 1963 C900 Short bed step side for 950 it runs and drives but does need work to be a rat rod or daily driver. She has got a 68 345cu inch motor and i think i got a dana 44 in the rear. I was a import tuner for the past 12years so the truck is alot different and my true passion. I have many questions about this truck I've had it in my yard for 4 days but i've owned it for a month (deliverly time). I can't find any useful info can yall help? BTW I can do all the body work myself I'm pretty good at it welding patching etc. excluding spraying paint i don't have the equipment to paint.

1. What years were the C900 made? From my research it was from mid 63 -mid 64 is that correct?
2. Can I use junk yard parts for things like wheel hubs and leaf springs?
3. Mine has a moon roof was the a factory op.?
4. What other models use some of the same parts?
5. With minor fab work can i do a low budget front disc brake conversion?
6. My bed is gone rusted out, except for the sides what can i do without building a bed from scatch. I was thinking of making some fiberglass molds of the bedsides and attachin them to a junk yard bed like baja fenders except classic replaica.
7. do yall thank i could use the kit from EZ chassis swaps if I cut a S10 frame to the 106 in. wheelbase.
Thank yall keep it cool
Attachments
860742_10151772220784908_1040242605_o.jpg
859238_10151772219874908_1705800348_o.jpg
858800_10151772220309908_2104144804_o.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: C900 info???

Welcome to the Group. Check out the Library section. There is this site listed: https://www.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa
He may have some of the books on there that you might need for reference.
This page at the Wisconsin Historical Society may have some useful info:http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ihc/id/36160/rec/16

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Gotta love classic trucks .... But I have checked the wis college thing I can't really make head or tails of it I might need to take a fourth look lol. The C900 seems to be the abandoned child in the pickup line up. I really want to repair/ upgrade this truck to last 50 more years. So with budget in mind I don't want to half arse somthing ya know.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Bullfrog, welcome to the site. To my knowlege u are correct on the years of production on the c 900 series. I have a 1965 D1100 4x4 and i think the cab, hood , fenders, headlights and turn signals are all the same, execpt for the grill.. It aint easy findin parts for Internationals , especially in Pa. ,aint no junk yard here with a International in it. :lol: Try this website, www.travallparts.com i got a lot of stuff from there but very expensive.... good luck with the c900.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 am

Hey bullfrog- like hearing the enthusiasm!

If I'm not mistaken, I think the same bed was used from the late 50s to the 70s. A wider net will catch more parts. Try scanning some pics on the net and see what looks familiar.

You can also post up specific needs in the swap meet section. Lots of IH guys are pack rats and someone might have just what you need.

Two of the best tools I ever got for my restoration were the shop manual and parts catalog. Binder books has them http://www.binderbooks.com/1964-75%20Light%20Duty.htm

Keep those questions and pictures coming
Welcome to the site
Gary
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 am

Wow after weeks of searching and researching :x I learn a ton after just one post :o I maybe behind the power curve but
check this out its email traffic from me and travelallparts.com

FROM ME

Ya I just bought a ihc 63 C 900 stepside shortbed with a 345 in motor and dana 44 rear I've searched for ANY and i do mean ANY info for these trucks I need new brakes but i don\'t even know what can fit do yall sell a disc conversion kit for a 63 c900 or can i use another models with a minor bit of fab work. Please at least tell me what years the C900 was made as far as i can tell mid 63 thru mid 64 am i right. if so how rare is these truck can\'t find any on the internet at all!!!!! help

FROM TRAVELALLPARTS

We know that the C was out in 1964 and built through 1968, but if yours is a 1963 we won't argue that. The best way to determine what you have is to order a Line Setting Ticket. That is a copy of the actual order that was used to build your truck. It accompanied it down the production line so the correct pieces and options could be put on truck. It even tells you the exact day it came off the production line, as well as all options, ratios, interior trim etc. To order one we will need the VIN number. the best way to get the true VIN is to look at your frame under the drivers door. The VIN is hand stamped into the frame rail right behind the left front spring, rear anchor. Call us with it and we can order the ticket for you, it costs $29.95, and takes 10 days to two weeks to receive. The engine can be identified by basically the same method. On the right side of the block ( passenger side ) just below the head deck ( where the head bolts on ) will be a raised boss with the engine serial number hand stamped into it. If you have a six cylinder it will start with a 6 and the next three digits will be the displacement. If it is a V8 it will start with a V then the displacement. Another interesting little note, the bed could be 6 foot, 6-1/2 foot, or 7 foot and still be a short bed. The long bed was 8 foot. So measure yours or wait for the Line Setting Ticket.

Thanks
Travelall Parts

I thought this was great ALso thank yall SOOO much i had almost given up on the internet for answers. The days I found this site I had spent the day at a local store hounding the old timers for anwsers lol.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:37 am

welcome to the group, great people here full of info. :)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Thats great Bullfrog, u r on ur way to fixin that c up.. Its amazing that there are still some available resources to fix up our old trucks. cool.... good luck with da truck ... :D

Return to Introduce Yourself