Hello from Illinois!

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 am

Hello from Illinois!

Hello to everyone,

Found this forum awhile back and was very impressed with all the knowlege of International trucks here. I currently own a 39' D-35 that used to be a Darely equiped fire pumper truck my father owned. I have plenty of questions about it but at least I know that Im in the right place to get some answers. Look foward to getting to know all of you! :mrgreen:

Thanks
Brent
Attachments
024.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 am

Re: Hello from Illinois!

Welcome to the Group Brent!

Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 am

What a honey of an IHC!

Welcome. Looking forward.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Always loved the "D's"

Nice looking rig. Lots of good people and advice on here.
Welcome to the site
Gary
"How the heck did that happen?"

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks Gary. The D's do have a unique look don't they? I guess I should tell some of you the history of the truck that I now own. This truck was originally modified into a pumper truck by Darley, then purchased by the Yorksville,IL fire dept in 1939. In the mid 60's it was then sold to the St.Anne fire dept of IL. It wasn't until 1975 that St.Anne put the international into retirement. At that time my father was a paramedic for the Aroma Park fire dept,which was only 10min away from St.Anne. This truck intrigued my father enough for him to purchase it from the fire dept. My father was and still is a man of many skills, and autobody work was one of them. After purchasing the truck he preceded to repaint and pin stripe it back to it's former glory. The Old International was manily used then for parade duty until the birth of yours truly:) With a now growing family the truck was then tucked into a friend's barn for storage. Even though dad's time was short he always managed to take me out when I was only knee high to start up the truck once a year. I remember as a small boy observing him start up that old red goliath. As the starter moaned and groaned the engine would suddenly come to life with a sharp crackle of gun fire from the cherry bomb muffler beneath. A sound that still amazes me to this day. Dad always took care of the truck,but as time went on the beautiful lacquer paint deterioated and became immobile after failing break cylinders. As a teenager my father took the truck from it's tomb to refurbish the entire break system. It wasn't until recently that the truck was moved home to where it currently resides at my father's shop.
As you have noticed from the pictures the rear half of the truck that Darley had attached back in 1939 is no longer there. A few years back my father and I had decided to turn into a flat bed truck. Although the actual truck is nearly rust free, the rear half that Darley had built was completely cancer ridden from the inside out due to the failing water tank. In a way we hated to remove that part of it's history,but it really wasn't finanically feasible to repair it. Darley I know for sure made great fire equipment,but some of there installation methods were appalling and crude. I can't tell you how many crooked miss cut angle iron braces I removed that were welded to the frame of the truck, along with the patching of the torched cut hole in the back of the rear cab they made when installing the pumping unit. Many of these problems were not know of until removing this equipment from the truck. Out of sight and out of mind or just the plain old attitude that "nobody's gonna see it", can never validate poor workmanship.
Just this past year my father decided to give me the Old International. It needs a little tuning up and the tires will more than likely have to eventually be replaced,but with only 10,000 miles on it mechanically it should be a forgiving project. I can't wait to introduce it to the new generation of our family, and will continue to be it's care taker for many more years to come.
Attachments
025.jpg
026.jpg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 am

Great old truck!! And welcome to the site. Just a little bit of info you might be interested in. I understand that Navistar biased one of their new Lonestar heavy trucks after the D series trucks. Check out the attached picture you can see the grilles are very similar.
loneStar06.jpg
Terryl51
Retired
1951 L-112 International Long Bed. Stock as I could make it!! 1974 200 3/4 ton bonus load to pull it with!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Brent,
Welcome to the site, and thanks for the history. It's great to see the truck stay in the family. Here's to many more years together.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks for the photo Terry. I have actually seen one of the new Navistars on You Tube just a short while back. Unfortunately I havn't seen any near my home though. Here locally we only have a Peterbuilt dealership. From the impressive look of the grills of them it wouldnt be hard to miss one of them in your rearveiw mirror going down the highway!

Thanks for the welcome Dean. It seems as the truck will be staying put for some time thats for sure. I took my wife for a drive in it last fall and she thought it was a riot! Two thumbs up from the wife means its a keeper! :lol:

Return to Introduce Yourself