Air Cleaner

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:36 am

Air Cleaner

I recently bought a Dodge Lil Red Express. The iconic LRE air cleaner was AWOL, but in its place was a blue AC with the Chrysler logo and "446 Super Torque" sticker. The only 446 engine I can find anywhere is the IH MV-446 so I thought I would ask you guys. Does this AC belong to an IH truck? I don't want it, but I know how hard it is to find parts for older non-Chevy/Ford trucks so I'm offering it to you guys. If this isn't for a IH, then maybe someone can chime in on what it may go to.

Thanks, and good luck on your various projects.

[img][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah231/txwooley/DSC01541_zps1984c98d.jpg[/img][/img]

Edit: Sorry the pic didn't come out. Not sure how to post one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Air Cleaner

I've never heard of this before, but according to the "trivia fact" in this newsletter, this air cleaner is from a re-badged MV446 that was used in Dodge trucks after they quit making big blocks.

http://mountaingatewaymopars.com/cms/si ... n-2014.pdf

I assume this would have replaced the 440, since I know it was used in medium duty trucks. Whether this is the same air cleaner (other than decals) that International used, I have no idea.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:03 am

That is interesting. The folks over at the Dodge Truck Forum had never heard of it either. Thanks for the info. I would hate to throw this out and then find out someone was scouring the earth for one.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:43 am

I researched it a little more. Apparently when Chrystler stopped making the 440 in 1978, they put IH 446 engines in the Dodge medium duty trucks and motor homes. I don't know if this will fit or work on a IH truck, but I'll offer anyway. I also posted the same thing on a Dodge truck forum. If you want/need this AC then pay shipping or come get it in Southeast Texas.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am

If you get no bites on this, PM me I might just take you up on it. Have you found your needed air cleaner?
Lloyd

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:56 pm

It doesn't look like too much interest. If no one serious by Monday morning, I'll give you a shout. As for the LRE air cleaner, :t3901; I have seen 2 on ebay. One went for $300 and the other is still listed for over $500. I'm thinking of gold plating an Edelbrock one. Much cheaper. :jester:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:12 pm

I was intrigued by the 446 in a Dodge so I went looking,don't recall hearing of such a thing.

Sure enough,it was for a very short time in Motorhome chassis. There's no way it was used in MD trucks since they were discontinued in 1977, a year before the RB big block engines ceased in Aug. 1978.

Here's a quote and a link to where I found it.
The company built a large run of 440 V8 engines to keep their motor home line going, just before discontinuing the big engines; when those ran out, around 1980, they substituted the International Harvester 446 V-8 in their Class A motor home chassis.
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/campers.html

I found the same basic info elsewhere including Binder Planet.

IH would never have used a part like that emblazoned with another makes name,you can bet on that. Plus the MV8's in IH trucks had AC's that are about 7 inches +/- in height,with a much shorter and broader air horn.

People collect and restore all kinds of things,MH's included (though I don't know why?) so you might try a forum for that genre. Someone just may need that AC and I'm sure they're hard to find.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 pm

That is a good suggestion Scott, If OP has the time and inclination, it might go a fair ways to financing the one he needs. to be frank, it is what I would do, I am not in a hurry and am retired, I also have a good storage location.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:23 pm

I believe Chry corp continued to make medium trucks in other parts of the world (Central and South America for sure) and likely needed a large gas engine for those as well. I know they stopped in North america when the new regs came in. Intrestingly they (Chry)also supplied the larger V-8's to Mack for a while. I have seen a R model with a 440 V-8 Chry in it from the factory.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:17 am

A retired BMW Mechanic stopped by on Friday. He reminded me that he had owned a JENSON INTERCEPTER. This oversized British sports touring sedan had a fire breathing Chrysler 440 V8. Google it. While I liked the front end styling, I thought that the back needs more attention.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Introduce Yourself