Bumper - from SD to CA

If you can haul, or need something hauled, this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:34 pm

Bumper - from SD to CA

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for shipping a Loadstar bumper. It would be coming from Sioux Falls, SD 57104 to Alturas, CA 96101. UPS freight, now called T-Force Freight could not give an estimate and they recommended Midwest Motor Express in SD as that is who they usually use. I called Midwest Freight and they referred me to their main office number for a quote who told me they don't deliver to California. The recycling yard where I'm interested in buying the bumper quoted $408 to ship it.
Anybody have any recommendations on who can ship a bumper for a reasonable price? I'm not paying $408 to ship a bumper that costs less than $100.
Or if there is a similar bumper in a recycling yard closer to Calif that might work ok too. Looking for one that is a simple, very straight bar with sight bars (I don't know what they are called) on each end. See picture.
Thanks.
Bumper.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:38 pm

Re: Bumper - from SD to CA

Are sight bars an aftermarket add-on?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:20 pm

Rookie rods is what we called them, and yes they are an "accessory" sold at most truck chrome shops. Was $400 what Vanderhaags's quoted?
LTL is not easy or cheap unless you list it as a "partial" and can wait for someone to pick it up. Still will cost more than the bumper to be worth while for a truck to go get it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:56 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Rookie rods is what we called them, and yes they are an "accessory" sold at most truck chrome shops. Was $400 what Vanderhaags's quoted?
LTL is not easy or cheap unless you list it as a "partial" and can wait for someone to pick it up. Still will cost more than the bumper to be worth while for a truck to go get it.

Yes, that's what Vanderhag's quoted. But I'm sure eventually I'll find a straight bumper like that closer to Calif. Or I'll make one out of steel stock. And it took very little research to find lots of "rookie rods" for sale. So its not all that important to me right now.
. * . * . * . * . * .
However, I now have my eve on a short wheelbase Loadstar 1700 4x4 for sale in Tremont, Illinois. No bed on the truck. Cab's rusted out but the drivetrain is claimed to be in good running condition. I want some of the parts - front axle, power steering, possibly the engine depending on what is wrong with my engine, couple interior bits etc. Thinking possibly then part out the remainder to recoup my money. Someone may want the transfer case, or 5-speed trans or rear axle or springs, etc.

My question - how do I get quotes and find someone to transport the truck?

I only know how to use U-Ship and I have been very disappointed in their service. It seems they use brokers that pay the actual truck transporters a less-than-fair part of what the actual client pays. I remember when my firetruck was delivered I was so shocked at how little the truck driver got from what I paid U-Ship, I gave him a big cash tip.
Another time the axle assembly I bought was delivered by U-Ship to the wrong address. It was delivered to a near-by recycling yard. I would not have known except I saw it sitting in the street. The office worker signed for it but had no idea how to reach whoever it was for, or if it was just given to them to crush/recycle. And despite my request to U-Ship to be informed of delivery so I could tell the driver where on my property to drop it off, they never called me. Fortunately the recyclers were kind enough, using their forklift, to bring it the few blocks to my house.

My question is how do I, other than through U-Ship, let independent and big companies know I have a pending shipment? I don't care if it takes them weeks or even a couple months to put together a full load so they don't have a partially empty trailer going either way, I'm just looking for something economical and fair to both me and the truck driver.

I remember years ago when I had my first Loadstar delivered to Los Angeles, it was not through U-Ship. It was through an independent carrier. It came from Nebraska at a very reasonable price. In addition to my truck, there were a couple pallets of big boxes and a big load of steel bars on that flat bed. Ideally I'm looking for a similar situation - where my truck is only part of the load so I'm not paying the full shipping costs. Is there something similar but different than U-Ship? How do I go about getting quotes from other sources? Perhaps other web sites active truckers look at?
Thanks.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:24 pm

Get the bumper to Spokane WA on Midwest Motor Express and I can get it to you in Alturas this summer when I come down to see my mom in Humboldt County. Midwest has a yard not far from the dealership I work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:57 am

There is or was a carrier that used to advertise in the trucking rags that all they did was move vehicles, "all your loads are drive on drive off, not waiting to be unloaded". I'll see if I can find the name.
You used to be able as a shipper to post on "The Internet Truckstop" for free, I don't know if you still can.
Partials are a pain in the butt, people don't accurately measure and describe what they are shipping, You drive out of route, add time to the trip only to find it is heavier or bigger and will not fit, if it is on the truck, they want it delivered like they paid for the whole truckload. When they work out everybody is happy, but that is rare, I've had a load of 3 partials, where 2 pulled out when I was on my way to pick them up, ended up with one that I had contracted to deliver, so had to make the trip at a loss!
I know I wouldn't bother on a partial from Sioux Falls to Northern Calif, unless I had a load out of the Twin cities going to the next town over in Calif. Even then it would cost more than what you paid for the bumper. Just a heads up.
Many loads go as truck load, and stipulate "exclusive use" of the truck (meaning it is a violation of the agreement to add partials) to get the load there as fast a possible. Truckers routinely ignore this if they think they can get away with it, but that means they can't go much "out of route" nor wait until morning to load, or be delayed in any way, and must put your piece on after they load and get it off before they unload, so the customer paying for the full truck doesn't see the partial.
Freight brokers, are a necessary evil in trucking, and yes they tend to take a big chunk of the load, it is why trucking rates are high to the shipper/receiver and the truckers are barely making ends meet.
I am out of trucking (retired) and don't keep up with what is going on in trucking any more, but these are comments from someone who has been in the trenches.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:50 pm

Thank you for your help and insights.
The person selling the truck did say he would do it for $3000. I could see perhaps $1000 as a shared load but $3k is more than the price of the truck. A total deal-breaker.
I placed a copy of my post above on a forum called Trucker's Report in the brokers section. It does say no soliciting but I don't know if asking for help finding sources for transporters is soliciting. So I might be kicked off that forum. . . time will tell.
Next I'll be researching your suggestion, The Internet Truck Stop.
Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:07 pm

shortbus4x4 wrote:Get the bumper to Spokane WA on Midwest Motor Express and I can get it to you in Alturas this summer when I come down to see my mom in Humboldt County. Midwest has a yard not far from the dealership I work.

Wow, thank you for a great offer.
I have not decided to definitely get that particular bumper. I'm sure it will still be pricey to ship to Washington. But I know in the past I've had problems with deliveries because many shipping companies do not want to deliver to California. Our bureaucracy is just so out of control.
I'll going to research more shipping options and let you know.
Thank You!

edit: this might be my new project - but still undecided:

Loadstar-Truck-2.JPG

Return to Transportation Network