Piston Swap Questions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Re: Piston Swap Questions.

nikkinutshop wrote:I have seen a few of those 152 engines, but I have never heard one run. How are these engines for power? The idea of using a half block is interesting for sure. I am going to have a look on You Tube, right now.

When Saab quit makeing their 3 cyl 2 stroke they bought the Ford V4, when they went looking for a modern replacement they bough 1/2 of a Triumph desgned V8 that served them very well, so well in fact in later years it out powered the tranaxle it sat on. It was orginally designed for around 90 Hp and in the end had more than twice that. (turbo'd and fuel injected)
GM had been lopping cyl off their V8's since the early 60's , not a new or novel concept.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 pm

PaulH: I took the carb out and am in the process of rebuilding it. Several areas were pretty clogged up so hopefully it will make a big difference. I should be done with the assembly tonight, but it's hard to say, I'll definitely keep an eye on the carb base for any vacuum leaks. Any where in particular to look for leaks on the manifold? I did just put it back on so I may have missed something.

BlindSquirrel: That doesn't look half bad! I'd be more interested in the tranny than anything TBH. It would be nice to have another gear for cruising on the highway.

nikkinutshop: It's not all that bad, it runs terrific and does fine around town. It even does okay on the highway if I keep it below 70 (it doesn't really go above 75-80)...

carbking: That's awesome that you were able to pull a car trailer with a 152. Was it the turbo version? Mine barely maintains 45 or so up hills, so I can't imagine towing with it. As for fuel economy... I'm kind of glad my odometer isn't turning at the moment, so that I don't have any idea what I'm getting... XD
1964 International C900 Pickup
1987 Subaru RX-Turbo
2017 Subaru WRX

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Also,

Any tips for reinstalling the clutch fork to the slave by myself? I disconnected it to reattach the bracket to the cylinder head and can't get it to compress. Should I detach the bracket, insert the rod into the slave cylinder, crack the bleeder nut and push it back in until I can get it back on the head, tightening the nut when I get the slave back where it needs to be?
1964 International C900 Pickup
1987 Subaru RX-Turbo
2017 Subaru WRX
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series