One thing leads to another

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: One thing leads to another

This is a bunch o BS.This is the kind of non -information that gives forums such a bad reputation. The oil is not restricting air flow. The oil is only there to trap dust. If the oil were restricting air flow this would have the same function as running with the choke on.[/quote]

Ok, thats good to know. So again forgive me for my stupidity, but am i alright running the truck with the air filter that i have? Luke

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:30 pm

harvester60 wrote:This is a bunch o BS.This is the kind of non -information that gives forums such a bad reputation. The oil is not restricting air flow. The oil is only there to trap dust. If the oil were restricting air flow this would have the same function as running with the choke on.

Ok, thats good to know. So again forgive me for my stupidity, but am i alright running the truck with the air filter that i have? Luke[/quote]

Your truck currently has a paper, dry element air filter. This is fine for your application.

The other poster was referring to the old "oil bath" style air filters that were common in the 1950's and 1960's era trucks.
Disregard comments about oil in the air filter for your truck.
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:01 am

Bit of an update on the truck. I have adjusted the brakes and they should be fine....test drive tomorrow hopefully. The temperature gauge defiantly does not work, but I'm not sure why. The cable coming off the back of the gauge is a green wire number 33. Forgive me, I'm not sure but I'm assuming the attached photo is of the heat sending unit. i have done a continuity test and the cable seems to be good. After a quick google search, i tested the unit by removing the cable and earthing the unit out with a jumper cable. According to google if the temperate gauge went straight to hot, then the unit would need replacing.
The gauge did not move a millimetre. Does this mean the gauge is faulty or is the sending unit faulty?

Im probably gonna sound real stupid now but.....i did take the thermostat out several years ago, however looking at the thermostat I'm assuming its mechanical and even if removed it would not make a difference to the temperature gauge. If someone could confirm (that I'm stupid or I'm right in what i am saying) i would be grateful.

(photo won't attach, i will upload later) Luke
Last edited by harvester60 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:00 am

Here's the photo, I'm assuming this is the heat sending unit???
Attachments
IMG_2433.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:01 am

Can anyone tell me what this please.
Attachments
IMG_2434.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:03 pm

That looks like the ceramic resistance block. These are often seen in points distributor systems. The common name is a ballast resister. The purpose was to reduce the running power to the ignition system. My 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 has a three stage ballast resister in the HVAC system to control four fan speeds. The resister sequence is three parts for low, two parts for second speed , one segment for speed three. fourth fan speed is bi-pass.
These ballast resister can get hot enough to burn fingers. Ram have installed their three stage in the heater duct for cooling the resister.
http://www.randakksblog.com/ballast-res ... procedure/
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Thank you Nikki, i will have to read this several times and inwardly digest.
Just out of interest, whats your opinion on spark plugs. Is there a better brand to fit? Does it really make a difference? Currently i have Autolite 303 fitted. I think i will replace them, just to see if it makes a difference to how my truck runs. I did not know if it will make it run a little smoother. Your thoughts are appreciated. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:40 pm

I hope CBN89 can answer this question for you. If you are staying with the OEM plugs, points and coil ignition system there are limits on how much modern you can add to your system. So, I will not get into the details. CB 89 is so much better at explaining the role of the ballast resister and the correct spark wire for your system. Something that many person do not understand is the difference between a hot and cold sparkplug. This Information is available on the internet and Googling for the information is easy.
I was reading the details of the TEC3r system I installed on my 1947 Ford Flathead V8. Even though this system can, where and if required, produce a spark with up to 80.000 volts strong, the maximum spark is determined by the energy needed to jump the gap at the sparkplug. This could be well under 10,000 volts. I expect this might also apply to your system. The spark intensity is all about compression pressure against electrical pressure. A low compression engine will not need the spark intensity of a high compression engine. I suspect, but cannot say for sure, RPM will be part of the equation in determining spark requirements. I am thinking of the 4500 maximum RPM in an Old Ford or IHC versus a Formula One at 20,000 rpm.
I read a good article, on the internet, that suggested buying an expensive coil in the hope of getting a much more powerful spark may be money wasted if a regular coil can and will work just as well. The theory is the spark collapses once the gap is jumped. I will try to find this information and post a link.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:19 pm

Wow this is a whole new world to me, never heard of hot and cold spark plugs, but after a google search i understand now. I have converted to an electronic distributor. Not sure if that will make big difference to the type/manufacture of spark plug. Also not sure what the original manufacture of the spark plugs when then truck was new. More Google searching, in the mean time thank you very much. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Electronic distributor components do not change their settings over time. An old points system starts to wear out with the first turn of the distributor cam and the wear continues until the engine starts to misfire or quit. Back in the old days, when these trucks were new, there was a "service" station every 20 miles or less. We owned one of these service stations and we sold BA petroleum products. There was a steady customer base who stopped in for ignition service. We had all of the "right stuff" for setting up the spark timing. This included a distributor machine from SUN.
Electronics, 12 volts and negative ground is the new standard.
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series