One thing leads to another

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:44 pm

One thing leads to another

So after rebuilding the cylinder head and getting the truck running, was going to drive the truck out of the garage and have a real good clean up. However it seems i just get one thing right and something else goes wrong. After starting the truck up, i went to drive out only to find that when i tried putting it into gear, i could just got a load of grinding noises. I put my foot on the brake, only for the pedal to sink to the floor. :biggrowl:

I checked the brake fluid.....bone dry. I did replace the brake cylinders a couple of years, all bar one, I could not remove the drum. So next job is to look into that.

The grinding noises, i assume is the gear box or rather the clutch, again I'm assuming this is stuck and not releasing. Not sure what to do here, but i be thinking a bit of research first. I will keep posted.

No driving this weekend :t2102: Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Re: One thing leads to another

sometime a disk can stick. If your lucky, you can get it to free up without getting inside. Once the brakes are working and trustworthy, get it where you can start it in gear, and not run into anything.
put it in the lowest gear and get it running, while going forward, put you foot on the clutch and give it snoot full of throttle, the truck might leap forward or the disk might break free. Needless to say this needs to be done with safety in mind, and nothing to hit in front of you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:11 am

Thanks for the advise Cornbinder89. That would be very difficult with where i live. I have a single garage, which is very tight on room, then on to a short drive and then on to a road, however where there is a will, there is a way. It might be some time before i can do that anyway. After looking at the brakes and bleeding them and all, i noticed that the brake fluid is leaking from the master cylinder on the inside of the cab. I can only assume that its a rubber seal that has gone. I will be looking into rebuild kits. Im a bit reluctant to order from rock auto as i got stung with import duties on a recent order. A gasket which should have been £27, ending up cost me about £100. Although if i need it, what choice do i have. Not sure if these master cylinders were used on other trucks from that era, if so then i might be able to get one from a company over here.

A few other things had also gone a bit wrong was one of the head lights and the horn had stopped working. These turned out to be a bit time consuming, but a straight forward fix. The horn was a cable had come out of the fuse box and the head high was a cable had become disconnected from a connecting block.... note to self, check the simple things first. :t0174:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Well thought i would give an update. Ordered a new brake master cylinder.....the part which connects to the brake pedal was not the same as the original, so i had to adapt the brake pedal and make a few brackets. Bleed the brakes (twice). Turned her over in gear and hey presto...she runs. I drove her out of the garage and let it run for 20 mins to warm up. The brakes work ok, but i think i will adjust them the weekend.

The engine seems to run ok, although when i put my foot on the gas, it almost sounds like it's sucking in to much air. If i really put my foot down then it would cut out, but if done my gently then its not so bad. Not to sure what would cause this, maybe the carburetor needs adjusting. It also seemed to get very hot very quickly. The good news is, it runs and i can now start to look into the these things, when its out of the garage. Luke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3xKvVLDrY

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Look for an air leak around the base of the carb? How hot is to hot? Did you flush your radiator? Do you have the fan shroud? Too high of a thermostat? Just some jumbled thoughts from my brain.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:43 pm

lbesq wrote:Look for an air leak around the base of the carb? How hot is to hot? Did you flush your radiator? Do you have the fan shroud? Too high of a thermostat? Just some jumbled thoughts from my brain.

Hopefully get to have a look over the weekend, i will check out the base of the carb. Erm not sure how hot, hot is...but it seemed pretty hot to me. The temperature gauge does not work, another job i need to look into. The radiator did get flushed before i replaced the cylinder head gasket, although it did not come up very clean, i still have really brown water in there, even though i did about 70 - 30 mix of coolant and de ironised water. Maybe its time for a new radiator. I do have the shroud and its fitted. Thanks for your thoughts, i will update as i go. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am

I had a similar situation with the stuck clutch and no room to run. I saw all kinds of crazydangerous methods on YouTube like dropping it off a racing Jack at full speed, etc.

I ended up putting it up on Jack stands, running it up a bit with the clutch pedal depressed and then jamming on the ebrake. That broke the clutch loose. Must not have been too rusty...

IIRC, I might have sprayed some PB blaster up in the clutch and let it sit, too. Maybe not the best idea because it might have made the clutch slip, but doesn't seem to have hurt anything. My reasoning was that if I ruined the clutch it probably would have needed replacing anyway. Brake cleaner might be a safer alternative.
Last edited by OhioBoy on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 am

Sorry if I'm getting too basic, but is there oil in your air filter? If it's dry or low that would give it too much air on acceleration, too. :whistling2:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:13 pm

OhioBoy wrote:Sorry if I'm getting too basic, but is there oil in your air filter? If it's dry or low that would give it too much air on acceleration, too. :whistling2:

I like basic. Im really not a mechanic at all, I'm just playing. So i will take all the help and advise i can get. Im probably going to sound really stupid but....am i reading that right....oil in the air filter???? Should there be???? Mine is dry as a bone however i do not have the original air filter. Man this is opening up all the questions....where does the oil come from for an air filter, how does it get there? Here is a link to you tube again, you can see the filter I'm using.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3xKvVLDrY
If you could give me any tips i would be grateful, Forgive me if i just sound a complete dumb @ss. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:23 pm

OhioBoy wrote:Sorry if I'm getting too basic, but is there oil in your air filter? If it's dry or low that would give it too much air on acceleration, too. :whistling2:

This is a bunch o BS.This is the kind of non -information that gives forums such a bad reputation. The oil is not restricting air flow. The oil is only there to trap dust. If the oil were restricting air flow this would have the same function as running with the choke on.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series