A-120 driveline Emergency brake

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:56 am

A-120 driveline Emergency brake

HI folks,

I am looking for information, pictures etc. of how the driveline E-brake was configured, mounted and so forth.

I have the long handle lever in my cab, which connects to a shaft, which connects to a spring and thick cable.
The cable is just tied off at the moment, and I have no idea where the original driveline emergency brake would have attached.

I have seen some photos of various aftermarket driveline brake set-ups but was wondering how it was originally mounted.
I don't suppose I'm likely to find an original out there? :)

Thanks in advance for any info leads etc.

ben

A-120 e-brake - 1.jpg

A-120 e-brake - 2.jpg

A-120 e-brake - 3.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: A-120 driveline Emergency brake

Your last photo show the flange the drum mounts too and the arm for the band to attach too. You are missing a lot of parts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:18 pm

If I'm seeing correctly, you have four wheel drive and a divorced transfer case? As cb89 pointed out, your transmission has mounting points for a parking brake. But with four wheel drive, your parking brake should be on the back of the transfer case. I see four bolts where a parking brake drum could be mounted to the u-joint yoke. Have parts been swapped from another truck to make yours a four wheel drive? Either way, missing parking brake parts.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Hello CB89 and Dean 466 and thanks for your amazingly fast replies. I have the Line Setting ticket and the truck was originally a 4x4.

I know I am missing a lot of parts :) I just wasn't 100% sure of what the set-up looked like and how it should be mounted if I had 'em. Now I think I do thanks to your input. In your posts you mention a drum was likely attached to that disc with the 4 bolt holes, with that arm being the mount for the band.

I haven't been lucky yet calling around to various junk yards but I also wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for since there are a number of different e-brake set-ups in the parts book.

I'll be getting the grime off the driveline this weekend so I can get a better sense of what the options might be in terms of using either the transmission or the rear of the transfer case.

Have you folks ever used one of the aftermarket driveline e-brake set-ups? Is there one you would recommend?

ben

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:04 pm

I agree with Dean that the back of the transfer case is where it needs to be. Best if you could find the original stuff cause it will bolt on. Aftermarket (I didn't even know they were made until I googled it) will not be a simple install as I doubt you could find a bolt on kit for the old transfer case.
Tru-Stop made disk driveline brakes back in the day, and they were the "gold standard" that all other E brakes were compared too. They were the only E-brake that could meet the requirements to stop a loaded semi!
I have two small drum brakes on the back of a K6F powerdivider, which is more like what you are missing. There were many variation and I think you need to find what came off.
This really brings up a pet peeve of mine, People yank stuff "I don't need/want" and toss parts that are very hard to find later. If they had just pulled the brake band, you wouldn't be in such a fix. If the rear axle brakes don't have the provision for an E brake, than fixing the driveshaft brake is your best option.
I will always consider a vehicle with in-op systems, I am very hesitant to consider a vehicle with systems that have been removed. Much harder to fix if you are starting from nothing, then looking for replacement of something you have to compare it too.
On newer stuff, I often see A/C systems pulled apart and stuff missing. I will not consider buying! Missing idlers and compressors are hard to find and expensive, Just pulling the A/C belt would achieve the same result!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:10 am

Here is a link to the brake section for a '56- http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... Brakes.pdf Scroll down to page 4-94, near the bottom of the section.

Being a couple years newer, yours may be a little different. It looks like 2 wheel drive models with the transmission mounted parking brake used a rod from the handle to the brake, while 4 wheel drive trucks used a cable between the handle and the brake.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks Dean!

Of course mine is some odd hybrid I imagine since I have a rod currently connected to the handle -

Which is also connected to a cable :)

This is the transmission info from my line setting ticket

trans info.jpg

These are helpful hints.

ben

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:10 am

These are from a S-120-4X4 one year before the A series, hope this helps, the brake is on the transfer case
Attachments
TRANSFER2.jpg
TRANSFER1.jpg

Return to A, B, C and D Series