Major oil leak

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: Major oil leak

Im on 24hr call out this week but managed to get to do a bit of work on the engine today. I have checked to make sure the cylinder head and engine block are flat and not warped, which they are both flat. The new gaskets should arrive by the end of next week.

I have a couple of stupid questions. I have attached a photo. The spring tube in the middle of the photo (sorry i don't know what these are called). Which end do they go in? The end of the spring closest to the cylinder head or the end closest to the rocker arm? It would appear that i never replaced them when i put new springs in. I don't think this would have caused the leak, but i need to refit them.

The second stupid question, when fitting a new cylinder head gasket, which side goes to the engine block? The metal to the engine block and the material side to the cylinder head or is it the other way round? Just want to make sure what i done before is correct. Kinda clutching at straws as what is causing the leak.

As you've probably guessed, i have not done a lot of mechanical work before.
Attachments
IMG_0681-2.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 20, 2018 6:56 am

This link shows, There should be a valve seal, scroll down to the cylinder head, are your valve guides in the head worn out, they are pressed into the head it self. The gasket is marked for the block side.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1083

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 20, 2018 7:10 am

Good news on the flat surfaces . On one of my head gaskets it was marked , and I'm not going to guess which one it is but I'm sure some one here knows for sure . I use Permatex Coppercoat and have added a link on how to use it , I always use it . I've heard also to use only a thin coat of oil on gaskets . I'm sure there is good advise here on how to treat your gaskets to help you make your choice When I think about what oil passages , may be blocked , In my motor there is a head bolt in front that is hollow that supplys the rocker shaft , what oil passages are there up to the top in your's ? When you take off your side plate is it full of oil ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCoAeK667Z4

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi, thank you for the info. The valve seals are missing. i can clearly see it on the diagram, however i when stripped it apart before, there was definitely none fitted then. Either way i have some coming with the new gasket set. Im guessing that the valve guides are pressed in, but its had to tell. I cannot see a joint as such. Also not sure if they are worn, they look pretty good, no visible damage. Would i need to be looking for excessive play between the guide and the valve stem?

Not to sure how the oil gets to the rocker shaft. There does appear to be an oil passage in the front bolt hole. However i do not have a hollow bolt. More investigating needed i be thinking.

Once again thank you very for your help and advise its very much appreciated.

Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:34 am

I thought you might want to look this over, and make sure you have the correct stand in place.
Attachments
BD240 OILING SYSTEM 0010003.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 am

Thanks Kevin, I got to work on the the truck last weekend and................oh the shame, the embarrassment, the humiliation, the stupidity.......I had the cylinder head gasket on the wrong way, which was blocking an oil passage :t1812: :t1812: :t1812:

I have absolutely no idea how or why i done that, but i did. Boy do i feel stupid. The only thing i can think of is i placed it on the engine block thinking it was the right way and just never checked again as i thought it was correct. This lesson will stay with me forever.

Anyway long story short its now running, i had it running for about 20 minutes on and off. Hopefully get it out on the road this weekend.

Thanks for every one's input, help and advise. Hopefully this will also raise a smile or 2. Luke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptluqY0CAPU

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:23 am

Well that's good news ,,, that you got it straightened out , I have been checking and waiting to see what was the outcome . I remember when I was putting mine on I think I had a similar issue and when I found that it was actually marked ,,,, I remember thinking ,, well lookie there ! It's those kind of things that make the first few miles what they are , and the eventual result so worthwhile

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 am

Good News that it is up and running now. Do not be too embarrassed, Those kinds of things happen to us all. Enjoy your drive this weekend!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:34 pm

The gasket on the correct way, not blocking the hole.
Attachments
IMG_2336.JPG
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series