Looking for distributor advance specs for 1110427 dist.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Re: Looking for distributor advance specs for 1110427 dist.

Cool distributor machine.
I have most of a Marquette unit. Makes me want to fix it up!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 am

I’m not Familiar with Marquette. That doesn’t mean much though. For the longest time I thought Sun was the only game in town.

It is a pretty neat unit. It needs some cleaning and tinkering to be 100%. I’ve got A handful of vehicles with mech/vac adv distributors so the purchase made sense to me.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 pm

While I'm like MM and love this old shop equipment, in reality it is rarely if ever needed outside of a production environment. A distributor tester is just a way to spin and accurately measure what happens, the engine and a good advance timing light or mag timer, a vacuum pump and an accurate tach will do the same, just a whole lot less conveniently.
I used one in aircraft school to work on mag's, same equipment. That being said, if I ran across one at a reasonable price it would be coming home with me.
I would like to get my hands on a good alternator/generator/starter bench. I have one engine (3406 Cat) that is easy to work on alternators, all the rest a buried down by the frame. so when I overhaul, I need to put on the Cat, load test, and set the regulator before moving to other engines. At least all my heavy truck alternators use the SAE J mount. I'd have a problem working on a pad mount.
These test benches just make what ever you are doing that much easier, not that you can't do it with more simple tooling. It is why there are so few of them out there.
I used to love my digital Altest timer. you could even use it on a diesel with external fuel lines (not common rail), worked like a CPS on the modern stuff, and you could easly read the timing and advance off the display.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Local "ma and pa" parts chain going through upheavals. I'd LOVE to have their huge old-timey Weldenhoff? Widenhoff? Grnerator bench tester. It must be 70 or more years old.
I'll try to find a picture online. It looks like a phone exchange with a huge gauge.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Does this get your pulse up? This one came with the adapter for the Ford "Frog-man front distributor.
Attachments
allen syncrograph 1.jpg
ALLEN SYNCHROGRAPH
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Yes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Oh yes, very nice indeed.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:40 am

cornbinder89 wrote:While I'm like MM and love this old shop equipment, in reality it is rarely if ever needed outside of a production environment. A distributor tester is just a way to spin and accurately measure what happens, the engine and a good advance timing light or mag timer, a vacuum pump and an accurate tach will do the same, just a whole lot less conveniently.
I used one in aircraft school to work on mag's, same equipment. That being said, if I ran across one at a reasonable price it would be coming home with me.
I would like to get my hands on a good alternator/generator/starter bench. I have one engine (3406 Cat) that is easy to work on alternators, all the rest a buried down by the frame. so when I overhaul, I need to put on the Cat, load test, and set the regulator before moving to other engines. At least all my heavy truck alternators use the SAE J mount. I'd have a problem working on a pad mount.
These test benches just make what ever you are doing that much easier, not that you can't do it with more simple tooling. It is why there are so few of them out there.
I used to love my digital Altest timer. you could even use it on a diesel with external fuel lines (not common rail), worked like a CPS on the modern stuff, and you could easly read the timing and advance off the display.

While I agree you “can” run the same tests in the vehicle. It can be much more convenient (and generally more comfortable) to work on a dist on the bench. Re-curving may take a lot of trial and error. I’m sure that no one in my neighborhood wants to hear me racing engines at all hours of the day/night while I try to get an advance value that I’m looking for. At $100 buy-in my Allen has already paid for itself. I look forward to tinkering with a few spare distributors for my German cars n the future. I home to some day have a shop large enough to give this machine a nice space of it’s own. ‘Til then it will sit in the corner of my garage waiting for its next use.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 am

Oh no doubt, But if I had only one to do, I wouldn't be sitting on my hands until I could get a hold of a machine.
On another forum, there were people fretting that they couldn't lay their hands on a special pinion depth setting tool. It went on for months, rather than understand what they were measuring and find a way to make the measurement (of which I supplied several) they focused on not having the tool.
Special tools are nice, great if you have several to do, but rarely if ever the only way to get the job done. They mostly are time saving devices allowing the mfg to cut labor time reimbursement for warnentte work.
Others like a dist or generator test bench allow a shop to service a part without having the whole engine to test it on.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm

I hate it when people fret. :)
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series