Real-world advice needed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 am

Re: Real-world advice needed

Nikki, I love that metaphor for driving fast in a binder. I also agree about the insulation, I'm pretty sure that the folks at IH had never heard of sound deadening insulation.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 am

Whaddaya talkin' about! There's that mat on the firewall made out of pressed dead field mice. Isn't that enough? :lol:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

I live in rain country. The Canadian IHC trucks all came with several layers of cardboard behind the pressed paper board cover. Black mold was on every one of the insulation packs in the 14 pickups that passed this way. The factory punched firewall holes had to have allowed moisture to pass. Our 1940 Ford had about 40 holes in the firewall. I think many of the manufacturers of years ago punch all of the holes for most possible applications.
What have I learned? I fitted and welded pieces in the holes of the Ford firewall. Unfortunately, I welded the plugs from the outside. This made extra work for the body and paint guy. Next time and on the IHC pickup resto-mod projects we have lined up, the patches will be welded from the inside.

These trucks need much more sound and heat insulation than IHC gave them. 40 - 50 years ago there may not have been to options we have today.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series