Hotter spark?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Hotter spark?

I need the worn SV266 in my '60 B112 to run a bit better while I save up for a replacement engine. And I want to stick with the points-and-condenser ignition. Can I replace the stock coil with a hotter one without compromising the wiring or something else that's vital? :h21014: I believe oil is seeping past the valve seals. Right now I use the truck only for in-town, relatively light-duty hauling.
    1960 B112 V8 stepside
    1966 Triumph TR4A IRS
    1993 Miata LE -- daily driver

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: Hotter spark?

Controversial subject, I'm sure.
IHC used their own version of stand-alone Electronic Ignition. It works reasonably well. Why not use that?
The "hotter coil" thing is more complicated than you think. The spark plug gap size, combustion chamber temp, compression ratio, type of plug, fuel mixture all determine the KV required to jump the gap.
If you stick to conventional spark plugs (non-platinum or non-iridium) any ignition coil for that application can fire the plugs. Platinum plugs about DOUBLE the amount of KV needed to fire. THAT'S when stuff starts to happen. SOME old, stock ignitions can't fire platinum plugs especially under load.
My point here is that your "hotter coil" is a complete waste unless you are stressing the ignition in some way. Hard to stress ignition on an slow-turning IHC S-V8 with good carburetion and conventional spark plugs.
:)
My two cents.
I'm handcuffed to THIS much of the time. It tells me tales:
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Hotter spark?

Why do you want to stick with a mechanical distributor? IHs will take a Delco distributor and there are plenty of HEI distributors in that format out there to choose from.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Return to A, B, C and D Series