Bd 240 vs bg 241

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 pm

Bd 240 vs bg 241

So from my research on this forum and others like it I may know the answers but would like to confirm some thoughts. So the 240 and the 241 are identical save for the pvc system right? So all things should be interchangeable? Cams lifters etc? I've looked for cams etc for my 66 bg 241 and find very little. But I find more for the bd 240.however the cams I have found for the 240 lists as a hydrolic cam. I thought all these engines were solid lifters till '68? I have a small clicking in the center of the engine that mostly goes away after she has warmed up. I have done the hot adjustment at .025. I'll open the lifter cover this weekend to have a look. The gasket leaks anyways so I'll replace that. Just wondering what I should look for if parts are needed. If it's piston slap then I may either live with it or repower it as pistons are pretty scarce as I understand. And expensive if you do find them. I'm sure I'll have more questions but I'll take them step by step as I can afford them. Can't give up my other hobbies or I would go insane lol! Thanks again!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:37 am

Re: Bd 240 vs bg 241

The late BD240 with tilt-valve cylinder head and the BG241 are nearly identical except for the crankcase ventilation system. I'm pretty certain that none of these series engines had hydraulic lifters. There is extensive discussion about valve adjustment in this thread- viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5754
Solid lifter engines don't sound quite like hydraulic lifter engines. When it's right, it'll be 'running like a sewing machine'.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 pm

I've read quite a few threads on setting valves. Back in the 80's I had a 76 aspen with a slant six. My neighbor taught me how to set those. I don't mind the clicking of the valves. I know they are set right and are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. It's the clack that bugs me. So I'll be looking into it further to be sure nothing serious is going on. I also own a Harley so clicking valves is not new to me lol. Oriely lists a cam for the 240 as a hydrolic cam. That's what has me puzzled. I didn't think these engines had hydrolic lifters but ideas wondering if they are in fact drilled for oiling and can use the hydrolic cam and lifters? I've read a few discussions on cams and lifters. To include solid lifters on a hydrolic cam. I won't be doing that. So if you or anyone has good insight as what to do with that would be greatly appreciated. Now time to head to the garage!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:20 am

O'reilly's listing sounds like an error to me. I think you would have a tough time finding a hydraulic lifter for that application, unless another application just happened to fit.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:09 pm

As far as the click thing, check the rockers for ware. info only

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:36 am

Well ive done a thorough inspection of the valve train. The noise is not comming from there. The rockers are in good condition. Springs are visually good condition. Top of the valves are smooth. Push rods are strait. Lifters are good. No concave on the face. Expected wear on the sides. Not excessively sloppy. And the cam isn't flat. All lobes measure .003 of each other. That could be me reading the gauge. Yep no pressure oil supply to the lifters. No way a hydrolic cam would work. Thinking it's a typo too. The clack im hearing i now believe to be piston slap. But ill check the rods as the pan gasket leaks too. But if i had a bad rod bearing im pretty sure it would have let loose by now. Ive got about 300 miles on it now. But my cam is good so not worried. They just had an rv cam. Thought a couple more foot pounds of torque wouldn't be bad. I'd like to put hyway gears in it and tow a trailer less than 5000lbs. It currently has 4.09 gears with 32" tires. Which is fine up to about 60. I'm at 2500? rpm's. I know red line is at 3400 but it sounds like it's screaming! So i would like to stay at or below 2500. Just wondering how this thing will pull with 3.73 gears? Or am I asking too much.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:59 am

Mike, I checked randys ring and pinion, at 60 with a 32 inch tire 4.10 ratio =2583 RPM. With 3.73 = 2350 So save you a few RPMS.
I am running 3.55 but I dont tow anything.
RPM.https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/ ... TireHeight

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:40 am

Nice website! Hmmmm wondering if regearing it is worth it? I've got time to do that later tho. More pressing is the accelerator pump gave up the ghost. Ordered a kit and I'll let it soak for the next few days. Has anyone regeared theirs with any luck? I've heard of over drive transmissions. Are they available for the these or is what people do with a repower?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Mike,
There are no bolt-in overdrive transmissions that I am aware of for the inline 6. An axle swap may be easier than changing the gearset. Do you have half-ton (5-bolt wheels) or 3/4 ton (6-bolt wheels)?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 pm

It's the half to 5 bolt. I think the axles are d44's. The front is the closed knuckle. If I had to do an axle swap I may just buy a wrecked or rusted out half ton with good running gear. Not to that point yet. Just want to be sure what the knock is for sure in the engine. I don't think it's rod or mains or it should have airated the oil pan by now. And it goes away mostly when warm. Leading me to believe it's a piston. Just thinking if there was any "easy" way of getting some hwy speed out of it. Talking with the wife we may live with it? And just drive to the local tractor shows.
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series