Tyres

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Tyres

Hi, Ive had a flat tyre on my truck. Not sure when it down as i can't always get to work on it or into my garage. Anyway took it off today and went down the local petrol station to put some air in. I have had problems with this wheel before. Apparently it does seal very well. I need to get them shot blasted and painted, but thats another story. The question is what is the tyre of choice for you guys? The current tyres i have are like a 4x4 style, it actually says snow cruncher on there, so I'm guessing its snow tyres. Would it be best to keep with a 4x4 style or move to a general purpose sort of tyre? Would it make a big difference to noise or the overall ride of the truck? Luke
Attachments
IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: Tyres

Over the engine, probably not a lot of difference in noise, but ride should soften up some once you get away from the "mud/snow" tread. If you are looking to change all tires, do a conversion to the metric. If your tires are 650x16 this might be a close match 225/75 r 16 Some will run tubeless on the original rims, there is a slight difference in the bead area between a bias ply rim and a tubeless rim. If the rims are solid and no holes, i personally would run them, but I would not be doing cookies in the parking lot with it, nor high speed turns. To not worry about it, you could put in Tubes for tubeless tires, do not use the tubes for bias, they are different.
Just my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Cheap Don says this:
1) Buy cheap 16" take offs from the internet in pairs.
2) You must completely understand the slight gamble you take when putting tubeless (lock bead) tires on tube-tire wheels. (I think lock bead wheels showed up in the 1960s)
3) The lockbead or the tube (hopefully) is what keeps the tire on the wheel in an emergency situation.
4) Without either you risk causing the vehicle to go out of control on deflate.
However, I've done this for years and haven't had a problem in sunny Central CA.
5) There IS the problem of getting newer tires to seal against old pitted wheel surfaces. I fight this constantly.
Best of Luck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 am

Hi, thanks for the advise. Putting tubes in tyres in England is some what of a grey area, many people say its illegal, although after a google search I'm not so sure. I guess i will have take the tyre off and inspect the wheel and go from there. I will let you what happens. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:36 am

Putting tubes in tires is illegal?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:55 am

It may be in the UK if the rim and/or tire is not stamped tube type. They have a very strict C of F or MOT(inspection) in the UK. Much more so than what we have in the US.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:50 pm

BTW...notice the five "spears" pointing towards the center hole?
THAT's what a true IHC steel wheel center looks like!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Please check on the tube issue, here, you are not supposed to put a bias ply tube in a radial tire(though I am sure it has been done) Radial tubes cost a fair amount. I think that if you can find Radial tubes, you should have no problems. This is just my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:06 pm

OMG!!! rustier than i thought.
Attachments
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:30 pm

I don't why, but things my house seem to take so long to get anything done, anyway thats another story. So here i am I've got 1 wheel shot blasted and painted to the colour i wanted (one of the reasons why maybe things take so long, could not decide on a colour). The other 3 came off this weekend and will be going to the shot blasters tomorrow. Whilst taking off the other 3 wheels, i was looking at the lug nuts. They are looking rather rusty and rounded off. Does any one know what the sizes/threads are? I cannot seem to get the sizes. There are a few sites that say they will fit, but i just want to make sure before ordering. Ideally i would like them in stainless steel or chrome, but again the sites i have looked at don't tell you the material. Any thought or help would be appreciated. Luke

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/inte ... g+nut,7676

Im assuming these would fit. I have a 1960 B102 step side truck
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series