Engine paint

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Re: Engine paint

Well, the next step is up to you. You have more than enough good information, now, to make n informed choice. Luck to you
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Thank you for the advise, i really do appreciate it. I think i will go with the rattle can option. I will post picture's as and when things are sprayed and completed. Luke

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:56 am

On your rattle can painting, a couple of things come to mind that may not have been mentioned here. Try to find one of the Handles that fasten to the can and you can squeeze a trigger, it gives better control. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-243546-SP ... B000DZFE44
Another thing is if you can make or create a slowly spinning platform to put your wheel on, I think you can get a better coverage. something like a lazy susan

Just my thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:19 pm

A lazy susan??? I have never heard of that in my life. Im gonna google though. I ended up getting a couple of rattle cans from amazon. Plastikote bright red. I have to be honest, it sprayed on like a dream. Really good coverage and a nice gloss finish. I ve started stripping parts off the engine. When my Dad comes back from his holiday. he is going to help remove the cylinder head, replace a few gaskets along the way and a good clean up. Again i will post pictures as i go along. The wheels i will do after the engine. Thanks for all the advise, Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:27 pm

:t1812: :t1812: Omg. Ive just googled a lazy susan. I know what they are, i just did not know they were called that. I now also know why they are called a lazy susan.

“Thomas Jefferson invented the lazy Susan in the 18th century, though they were referred to as dumbwaiters at that time. It is said that Jefferson invented the lazy Susan because his daughter complained she was always served last at the table and, as a result, never found herself full when leaving the table.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:32 pm

Farm Implement paint from Tractor Supply is what I used on my engine. I used a red oxide primer and IH red with a hardener. You can also get it in a spray can.

1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Wow! nice job. Don't know if mine will ever look that good. I have a few restrictions, I don't have the room or equipment to remove the engine, i don't have a spray gun or compressor and i don't have a lot of room. Checked out there web site, tractor supply, looks pretty stuff at a reasonable price. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:29 pm

Do not be afraid of using a RUSTOLEUM rattle can paint on your engine and parts. These modern spray-can paints are very high tech and if your surface preparation is good, the paint will look good as well.
In Canada we are able to buy TREMCLAD and RUSTOLEUM, because they are the same company. The two paints should not be sprayed, one over the other because there will be some wrinkling.
take your time. Do not try to get full coverage in the first pass because these paints like to "run". If it is possible to get some warmth into the parts being painted, the finish may be better sooner.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:59 pm

I have had excellent results with this product. I did the engine in place along with the firewall.
I would shake the can well and spray into a small container and apply with various size brushes.
I taped off and sprayed the firewall, masking the engine with newspaper and rags.
A light first coat is always best.
The color I choose was a perfect match as far I I can tell to the original fire wall and inside dash color.

Good luck with yours.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:51 am

Apologies for the late response, I've been sick for a few days. Feeling better now though, although it will be next weekend now before i get to work on the truck.
Superb job Harvey, you must have had that engine super clean to get a finish like that, especially when it painted in situ.
Nikkinutshop, i did want to use rustoleum but found it very difficult to find in shops over here. I did look i line, but again i wanted to buy the bright red. The colours i seemed to find were colours like cheery red and cardinal red. Its difficult to judge the colour when your looking at a colour chart, or maybe its just me. This is what i used and the results that i have got so far.
Attachments
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series