Engine paint

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Engine paint

We can buy PLASTICOAT in Canada. http://www.plastikote.ca/
I think it is more important to have a colour that you like. Only you and a very few others will know the difference between an original IHC colour red and what you used. Carry on with what looks like a great job. The viewing public seem to like red the best.
The 6.9 Diesel I put into our R120 was in an original IHC grey that looked like flat primer and was sprayed on every part of the engine, including the fuel injection lines, oil pan, starter and pump. I like red engines with black oil pans and valve covers. I changed the fasteners to stainless steel, cleaned the injection lines and replaced the failing STANADYNE injection pump. I repainted the engine driven fan red because I thought the fan might be easier to see, well, the red all but made the fan disappear when it was rotating.
http://rustoleum.co.uk/
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:33 pm

[quote]you must have had that engine super clean to get a finish like that, especially when it painted in situ/quote]

Simple green with hot water , scrubbing with a brush , thats all it took for the prep work.
The paint adheres very good. I have wiped the engine down many times since with no problem
keeping the fresh painted look. The ceramic in the paint is very effective. IMHO

Your choice of Red is very nice. The silver manifold will make it pop !

Be safe

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I have had several exhaust manifolds ceramic coated for all of the right reasons. The main reasons, for me, was lowering and controlling the radiated heat from the manifold and appearance with an finish that will not bake off in the first 100 meters.
WE will be having the Cummins 4bta exhaust manifold and turbo exhaust side and down-pipe ceramic coated for appearance and heat control. This is for my son's L110

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:49 pm

I like red engines with black oil pans and valve covers.

Im going to do the opposite, Black engine and red covers. A few more bits and pieces to come off before i remove the cylinder head. I will post more photos as i go. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:01 am

Well I'm still removing bits and pieces as i go. I now have the starter motor off and repainted, the generator etc etc. I removed the oil pan yesterday to clean up and paint. Will also be fitting a new gasket as there were some small oil leakage some it previously. It looks like it was a cork gasket on there, I ordered some thick paper gasket some time ago, not knowing it was a cork one on there. Will the paper gasket be suitable or does it have to be a cork gasket? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:23 am

Cork is crap. It absorbs oil. A good quality gasket material of similar thickness is going to be as good as or better. IH did not use gasket material to seal the 6.9 V8 Diesel engine I used. The seal material came in a tube like toothpaste. My experience with gasket in a tube was a fail. The engine would leak oil after a couple thousand miles. The oil cooler and front gear cover had proper gaskets and never leaked.
Surface preparation is most important.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Make sure your mating surfaces are smooth and straight. A good thick paper gasket should work. Both Cork and paper are compressible, and yes, they both will adsorb some oil into the material. The Practice that I always used when replacing the cork gasket on the valve cover or the oil pan was to " just tighten for contact all around and then start in the middle and work out skipping from side to side to Snug. After running for about 300-500 miles or one week, which ever came first, I would then snug again starting from the middle and going side to side to the ends of the valve cover or oil pan. Results may vary but after the break in and re-snugging, I never really had any leaks. Once they came out with the rubber style gaskets, I still did the same procedure. I never just tightened them down first thing, When I did, I always seemed to have a leak. either because something warped or compressed unevenly. Not super impressed with RTV but many use it along with their paper gaskets. I am always afraid that I will get some in the system.
Just my thoughts and experiences. Others will vary.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Thank you for the advise, i will stick with the paper. Hopefully i can get this done next saturday while the wife is at work. Then in between christmas and new year my dad will help me take off the cylinder head. Photos will be coming along shortly. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:11 am

Photo update. My dad came round and helped get the cylinder head off. Now just for a major clean up new gaskets and a lick of paint. Think I'm going to order new valve springs as well. Rock auto has them for the bargain price of £76. I have also got new rubber grommets for the valve's. The old one's have all broken up :cry: Luke
Attachments
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:17 pm

nikkinutshop,
I got a price to sand blast and plastic coat my rims, $65.00 each witch I did not think was bad. But after reading your post I think I have changed my mind. I think I will still have them sandblasted but I will paint them myself. I have used the valspar pant many times but never on rims. Do you think it would hold up ok or should I look at the three part epoxy that you mentioned.

Thanks,
Mark
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series