Engine paint

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 am

Engine paint

Im going to be replacing some gaskets on my BD220 engine and thought i would freshen the engine up with a coat of paint. Whats the best paint to use? I was thinking of painting the main engine block gloss black and the covers red. Only trouble is i can only seem to buy matt red from local stores (this would be high temperature paint). Is it normal to paint with a matt colour and then spray with a clear lacquer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Engine paint

You do not need a high temperature paint for a liquid cooled engine. The temperature should stay under 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Rustoleum make a good red and black rattle can paint. In Canada Tremclad and Rustoleum are the same company but the paints are not compatible. It has been my experience that using one of these paints over the other will cause the finish to wrinkle.
My preference is Tremclad,
Surface preparation is most important. Any oil or loose material on the surface will guarantee a failing finish.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks for the reply nikkinutshop, Would white spirit be strong enough to remove any oil/greasey residue's or would you use some thing stronger? Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:54 pm

All of the best cleaner/surface prep fluids are very flammable. The product I use is called "gun wash" This is a very strong lacquer thinner that is used by automotive painters to clean paint guns.
Gun wash will cause any remaining paint to lift and wrinkle making it easier to remove. Wear eye protection and maybe some hand protection. Gun wash will dissolve nitrile gloves.
This produce cannot be substituted for paint thinners when painting.
Tremclad and Rustoleum are both fairly high tech paints and so much better that any paint from 50 years ago.
If you are leaving the original oil soaked gaskets on the engine, the paint will peal away from the gaskets.
If there is some way to add some heat to what you are painting, the job will go more quickly. I like having a heat gun with me and apply a little hot air to each application. Don't try to get good coverage in one pass. The wheels on my car have as many as 6 paint applications with hot air between each coat. An estimate of 100 hours to clean and prep the wheels, polish the outer rim, mask and paint five wheels is close. The difference between OMG and nothing said is time.
BTW. a paint company called VALSPAR has the correct IHC paint colour, they call it HARVESTER RED. https://www.amazon.ca/Valspar-4432-01-I ... B000LNV5N2
Attachments
wheel on the WP.jpg
BEFORE PAINT. JUST CLEANED.
HAZET AFTER.jpg
AFTER worth $500+/-
HAZET BEFORE.jpg
BEFORE as purchased for $25
EZ fix.jpg
TEST QUICK PAINT.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:18 pm

OMG WOW, you look like a master painter. On the subject of wheels i was advised to get them powder coated, over the choice of wet paint. What's your opinion?

Ok so i want to paint the rocker covers etc in a bright red paint, but over here in the good olde UK, we only seem to sell off red, matt red, cherry red, orangery red, pale red, dark, wine red EVERYTHING BUT BRIGHT RED :biggrowl:

Sorry rant over. I will continue my search for an aerosol bright red paint, maybe hammerite red or smooth rite red should i say, will be bright. Thank you for you help and advise. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 pm

P.s. Being on a budget sucks. :cry:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:08 am

The company where I worked for 35 years changed to PPG three parts epoxy paint on component rebuilds after the OEM powder paint failed. Stone chips would open the powder paint to the atmosphere and road splash. The powder paint is powered plastic applied electrostaticly then heated to melt the plastic dust to form a continuous uninterrupted film. When moisture got under the plastic covering the moisture was retained, much like water in a Zip Lock sandwich bag.. This situation caused 6mm main structure plates to rust through in a few years.
I not use powder paint on my projects. My reasons are, much more expensive than wet paint, repair is difficult. Powder paint is a good product in the right situation. Surface cleaning and preparation is much more important for powder paint. A PPG etching primer like DP40 may allow for some less than perfect surface preparation. This primer can be resprayed after cleaning the damaged area, followed by a respray of the topcoat.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:14 am

nikkinutshop wrote:The company where I worked for 35 years changed to PPG three parts epoxy paint on component rebuilds after the OEM powder paint failed. Stone chips would open the powder paint to the atmosphere and road splash. The powder paint is powered plastic applied electrostaticly then heated to melt the plastic dust to form a continuous uninterrupted film. When moisture got under the plastic covering the moisture was retained, much like water in a Zip Lock sandwich bag.. This situation caused 6mm main structure plates to rust through in a few years.
I not use powder paint on my projects. My reasons are, much more expensive than wet paint, repair is difficult. Powder paint is a good product in the right situation. Surface cleaning and preparation is much more important for powder paint. A PPG etching primer like DP40 may allow for some less than perfect surface preparation. This primer can be resprayed after cleaning the damaged area, followed by a respray of the topcoat.

After reading this, I tried to think of a application where powder-coat would be better than baked on epoxy paint if cost and time prep were taken out of the equation. I could think of none. Powder-coat from a mfg standpoint can be cheaper or quicker. I just don't see it being better than a good paint job.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:22 pm

All of the railings, for our house, for the stairs and the back porch are powder coated . The electrostatic base draws the charged plastic dust into and around every irregular area.
Powder coat does not have the very expensive having to deal with the VOC of sprayed paint.
I was thinking about any tire shop pounding a wheel weights onto a wheel and compromising the coating. How will a person tighten the wheel nuts/ bolts without causing an open in the finish. Curb rash and flying road debris could pose a problem.
I like powder paint, but I do not have a situation where it will work better for me. I am thinking that shop equipment might be a good candidate for PC, but then there is the additional cost to me for something I can do really well with a Rustoleum rattle can or spray from one of the many paint guns that have collected here.
Some of the components for my son's L110 Shorty will be sent out for zinc chromate surface treatment. I had the exhaust system in our '40 Ford ceramic coated, right from the custom headers to the tailpipe. This included the Flomaster muffler and the exhaust bi-pass system controlled by QTP. The control toggle switch is behind the removable OEM speaker grill. https://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
Attachments
QTP control.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Ok, thanks for your advise on the powder coating. The problem i have is i don't have a compressor or spray gun, so i am a bit dubious on the type of finish i will get with a rattle can. Luke
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series