New to the Board

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed May 18, 2016 11:42 am

New to the Board

Hello,

my name is Chris. I live near Pismo Beach, CA. I have a 1965 International D1100 that was passed down to me by by Grandfather when I was 15. This truck was purchased brand new by my great Grandfather in Wyoming. I am getting close to having it back on the road here in a few short weeks. I am exited to learn all I can about this truck. Any information on it would be great!

1965 C1100 4x4 Longbed Stepside

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Re: New to the Board

Welcome!
Such a great looking truck... With memories of your grandpa to boot how cool is that.

Look forward to seeing and hearing more about it.

take care

Steve

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Wow, what a great truck and family treasure. I think IHC used Dana axles and transfer case on those trucks. I hope you leave it 'as is' and get it running and driving safely!
This is my last old truck, unless I find another one.

1935 International C35
1939 Dodge TC
1940 Ford Tonner
1969 Ford F250 4X4
2000 Chevrolet 1500

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu May 19, 2016 1:23 pm

mkebaird wrote:Wow, what a great truck and family treasure. I think IHC used Dana axles and transfer case on those trucks. I hope you leave it 'as is' and get it running and driving safely!

Thank you guys! I love that i have the family history with the truck. From what I can tell the majority of the truck has been kept to original. I had to put those wheels and tires on it to move it. I have the complete set of stock steelies to go with it.

I am curently going through entire cooling system. I pulled the radiator about a week ago and took it in to have it flushed and checked out. Sad news came in a day or so later saying that the whole core of the radiator was shot and leaking from every orifice. :t2102: We have decided to take to stock tanks and put a new 3-core center in it. the factory one was a 2-core. Luckily the stock tanks where in great shape. I hear they are super hard to come by. Either way thats fixed. Should be able to pick it up today.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 20, 2016 11:55 am

Too bad about the radiator, I did the same thing on my '39 Dodge. At least that's one thing you'll probably never have to work on again!
Excellent news about the original wheels, best of luck!
This is my last old truck, unless I find another one.

1935 International C35
1939 Dodge TC
1940 Ford Tonner
1969 Ford F250 4X4
2000 Chevrolet 1500

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Chris!
My name is Don, I live about two hours away from you. I'm in Dinuba, near Fresno.
Whenever I think of Pismo I think of people driving their vehicles into the surf and getting stuck. Please don't do that with your family keepsake truck!
Usually IHC radiators are awesomely long-lived. I'm sorry to hear yours is not any good.
That 4wd makes yours a very unusual truck. IHC is a bit unusual to begin with.
I usually know where all the local IHC parts are (my house :).
Good luck with your project!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri May 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Just wondering if the shop pressure tested your radiator to current pressures? If so, they may have caused the leaks. The Old radiators were very low almost no pressure. That has been my experience.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri May 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Picked up my Radiator today. It looks 10,000 times better then when I left it there. Plus I had him add another row to it. Shoudl help keep the truck cooler even though it was fine for how many years now... haha The guy I use is a retired radiator guy that has been a long time friend of the family and he still does a few odds and in every now and then. I am almost sure that he didn't over pressurize it but I could be wrong. Either way we are back in action and full steam ahead for the memorial day Anique truck and tracktor show coming up.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri May 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Meacupa. If he has done them for years, he knows the correct way. I need to dig my three or so out and have a local guy go through them before he closes shop and moves 4 hours away.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 20, 2016 9:17 pm

That's a great truck!! I love the way truck looks with the step side bed and the raised ride height..
There is something about that combination that gives it great proportions and a real presence.
it's in good hands.
Good Luck.
Paul
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series