Converting vacuum wipers to electric

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Converting vacuum wipers to electric

I am new to OldIHC and am looking for some advice. I have a 1957 A110 with vacuum windshield wipers and would like to convert them to electric. Any words of wisdom or parts sources will be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Jim in MN.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Converting vacuum wipers to electric

The vacuum wipers are fairly simple to "rebuild" clean/lubricate. Be careful of the rubber diaphrams. Make sure all of your hoses for the wipers are good(no cracks) and port they plug to is clear. They work well and did very well back in the day. Slow ones are generally full of hard lubrication or have cracked/plugged hoses. If you are determined to use electric, then you will need to find a full set to put in the vacuum one's place and run electric.
Others with more experience will speak up.
Just my observations.

Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:48 pm

I am not sure if your truck has a swing out windshield, but if it does, this would be a concern with replacement street rod wiper motors. They do make them for this feature, so it really won't be a problem as long as you have thought of this issue before you order. The replacements are stud mounted and many have adjustable length shafts. Try Speedway Motors in Lincoln NB.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 am

The vacuum motor has been "rigged" to to work by the past owner. Has a separate push-pull cable that was run to it to turn it on and off. When that system failed copper vacuum lines were run into the cab with a rubber hose joint. Connect the lines together when you wanted them on, disconnect and plug the vacuum source with a sharpened pencil to turn them off! I guess it worked, but you can see why I would want to clean this up. I was hoping that an electric motor from a later system would be a direct fit. Thanks, Jim

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 am

It will be a matter of where they are installed. There were electric systems from the early 50's on. Yours are mounted in the cowl, correct? Kind of a pita to get to but not insurmountable. Your truck is 6 volt or 12 volt? finding the correct voltage wipers for your truck and making sure they have the right configuration. It sounds like you have a real rats nest. What I can gather from your description is that the vacuum wipers you have do work, and when hooked up work well? If that is the case, then I still stand by my first suggestion, putting good hoses in place and a good control switch in place and use the vacuum wipers. If they do not work well, change out. Offer up the vacuum wiper set up for someone else to rehab and use. Just my thoughts.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Not sure what your wipers look like on an A110 but these kits are available for IH pickups from New Port Engineering.

http://www.newportwipers.com/year.php?make_id=25
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 am

My 1958 A120 has electric wipers. The windshield is the same as on some of the Loadstar. I got a pair of wiper arms off a Loadstar and they fit fine, so the rest of the system might fit also.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Return to A, B, C and D Series