68 1300 steering box 4X4

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:20 am

Re: 68 1300 steering box 4X4

Scottso. There are no chunks out of it, just some chips gone from the edge of the teeth and the surface of the teeth is pitted, much like the bearing race. I got your PM and might give that a try, thanks.... I have been driving it the last couple of weeks and it doesn't steer too bad , actually much easier than I expected. The only issue is that the steering wheel revolutions are about eight, stop to stop. That takes some fast cranking, at times, especially coming out of a tight turn. Looking for a "suicide knob"...it may help....Ed

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 am

I may be speaking out of turn, but if I remember correctly 8 turns may not be out of line. How are your other steering components?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:18 pm

That actually doesn't look too bad. Mine had a broken race at the bottom of the worm gear which allowed all the ball bearings to escape. Some got trapped between the sector and the bottom of the box and actually ended up cutting grooves in it from some yahoo yankin and crankin until it freed up. Needless to say there was a lot of damage- flakes and chips, loose ball bearings- it was a mess. But it still steered. Glad I found out before I started driving because if one of those loose ball bearings had jammed in the mechanism (again!) it would have stopped steering. Not a good thing to have happen out on the road.

8 turns sounds about right. Rebuild won't change that. There is a process for adjusting the tightness. I will look up a link to the thread.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 01, 2015 1:25 am

Here's my post about adjustment. The whole thread is worth a read, although it's about a L series box. Quite a bit of crossover information.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2879&hilit=Ross+adjustment&start=20
"How the heck did that happen?"

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat May 02, 2015 8:02 am

Ohio boy, I am not trying to change the gear ratio, just stating that the eight turns seems like a LOT when I am used to three turns as my '06 one ton truck takes.....We've come a LONG way in 38 years!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 pm

WOW, I cant believe its been 5 years since I posted about this steering box. I gave up on finding any parts and put it back together so I could move it around. I now have a renewed interest in getting this old war horse going and possibly driving it to the RPRU since its only 100 miles away this year! Scottso, can you provide me and IH part numbers of the cam, bearings and other internal components? maybe a scan or the parts book page? Are there any other boxes that use those same internal parts? I realize the cam is one of but how about those studs and bearings?
0That would really help!

Any one else, I would sure like to get measurements from a 69 and up D series 3/4 or 1 ton steering box it anyone has one. I am in S ILL, real close to St Louis if anyone has any parts in this area...!!!!, Thanks, Ed

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:25 pm

Hopefully someone can answer your questions. Scott so has not been on in a while, you could try to send him an email, not sure if it is still active, others may know. Good luck.
Roadhog wrote:WOW, I cant believe its been 5 years since I posted about this steering box. I gave up on finding any parts and put it back together so I could move it around. I now have a renewed interest in getting this old war horse going and possibly driving it to the RPRU since its only 100 miles away this year! Scottso, can you provide me and IH part numbers of the cam, bearings and other internal components? maybe a scan or the parts book page? Are there any other boxes that use those same internal parts? I realize the cam is one of but how about those studs and bearings?
0That would really help!

Any one else, I would sure like to get measurements from a 69 and up D series 3/4 or 1 ton steering box it anyone has one. I am in S ILL, real close to St Louis if anyone has any parts in this area...!!!!, Thanks, Ed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:02 pm

I was looking around and found this in the library.
Attachments
JPG box.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:51 pm

Kevin, Thats just what I need!!!! I have browsed the Library many times and I have not seen that. Can you direct me to where you found it? Thanks a bunch!!!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:52 am

go to the link, and click on the download, the whole thing will be sent as a zip file.
https://www.box.com/s/otkihx6yoa/folder/23292549
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series