68 1300 steering box 4X4

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:27 pm

68 1300 steering box 4X4

Hello, I have a 1968 1300 4X4. I took the manual steering box off to check out the grinding noise and found it needs all bearing , gears , etc....couldn't imagine finding these parts new and probably couldn't afford them anyway!!! Would the 2WD boxes be the same? Know of any sources for a GOOD used box??? THANKS,,,Ed

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: 68 1300 steering box 4X4

Roadhog, I looked up what steering gearbox you might have, and found more than a half dozen possibilities.So I went to backyard, wherre I park my trucks and took pictures of several trucks. I couldn't tell the different ones I have, All the ones from the late sixties are non-power steering, and the later trucks have power steering. Other than that, they all appear to be the same. Bill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:33 pm

I looked this up a few days ago,been too busy to post.

The MT-118 lists one and only one steering gear for the 1300C. It is a Ross TA-54 (codes 05016 &/or 05060 <= TE-54) with a jointed column,meaning it has a "rag joint". On a Line setting ticket the gear will be listed as a "S-16 Steering gear" in the description column.
The same gear is also used in the 1500C with manual steering with the same codes.They are the only 2 models that use the TA-54 with a jointed column,the A & B use the same gear but,with a one piece column,which means the Cam (worm gear) is integral with the shaft right up to the wheel.

The 1300C 4x2 uses a Gemmer 24D Steering gear with manual,totally different brand,design,mounting and are not "interchangeable" with a Ross.

So Ed,you're pretty much stuck with what you have and finding a "good" used box is unlikely. Having yours reman'd or DIY may be the only recourse.
Internally other than the cam both versions use the same bearings etc. plus the levershaft.

Other than bearings,seals and bushings what is bad and needs replacing? You mentioned a "gear" is that the cam?

I have a few links for rebuilders,at least one might also sell parts.
In either case you'll need some info...
The IH part number for a complete gear is 363214C91
You can find the mfrs numbers on the gear,this links shows where to look.
http://www.babsteering.com/product/id_g ... -TE_TD.pdf
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks Bill and Scottso. Yes I believe it is the TE 54 gear. It has the rag joint like described. I'll check numbers in the morning but I am pretty sure that is it. The problems with it are; The cam (I always referred to this part as a worm gear) is chipped and the bearing races are rough, which are machined on to each end of the cam. Also the stud and bearing assys. are rough and worn, so its going to need a complete rebuild. I can do it if I can find the parts. I had it all apart last week, cleaned it all up and re-installed it. Its working better after I cleaned out the metal chips from the cam. Second question,,, Scottso, If I could find a good box and column out of an A or B, why wouldn't that work, and does it have to be a 1300 4X4 only????? Thanks again, Bill and Scottso!!!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:31 pm

"If I could find a good box and column out of an A or B, why wouldn't that work, and does it have to be a 1300 4X4 only?????"

I also listed the 1500C as using the same gear but,they used the Gemmer gear as well.
Other than that the set up from an A or B would likely require some modifications to the jacket (the "cover" inside the cab) since even they are not the same.

FYI,
The reason behind the change in columns from all I've read is the 1968 requirement that all U.S. vehicles must have "collapsible" steering columns.

In the long run sticking with what you have is the logical way to go. The chances of finding a used gear is iffy at best,I have a list with production numbers,there where only 1111 1300C 4x4's built and 3009 1500C's (of which how many had the TE54?). Plus the list has no info on the number that may have been exported.

Here's all the links I have for steering gears;
This might be the one for parts;
http://www.midweststeering.com/index.php?p=home

http://srtp.us/

http://www.babsteering.com/index.htm

http://www.prosteering.com/index.htm

http://www.larescorp.com/

http://benchworksteering.com/

http://www.straightlinesteering.com/Home%20page.htm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:31 am

I rebuilt my box and it wasn't hard but it was a serious chore to find parts. The worm gear and cams are next to impossible to find. Took me about 18 months of dedicated searching and I ended up finagling one new cam (box has two) and a junkyard box. Used the best parts from the two boxes and cut my own gaskets. Didn't replace the bushings, but can get those from Walcks 4x4.

If I had it to do again, I would get someone else to do it. Midwestern Steering looks like they are familiar with it and Suprjohn had an outfit in Omaha rebuild the Ross box from his S. He said they did a great job, but I can't remember the name. Can't be that many steering rebuilders in Omaha.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:26 pm

OhioBoy wrote: I ended up finagling one new cam (box has two)

Two cams??? Can't be,did you mean the (cone shaped) studs in the levershaft?

The parts breakdown at Midwest lists them for the TA/TE 54 as a set (with a pn),same as IH did. Most parts appear to be available there as well.
The only part Ed may have difficulty with is the cam.

Ed,can you post some pic's of the cam showing the "bad" spots?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:53 pm

On my box they are not studs, they have roller bearings and are tapered in the middle. The shop manual and parts catalog calls them "cam rollers" but yes, the cone shaped bits that engage the worm gear.

The Ross boxes for J33ps have pressed in studs. The Scouts have one cam roller and I think the S series box has only one also. I have been told, anyway.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:25 am

Been out of town and haven't had time to search for the parts. Here are a few pics of the studs and cam gear.....The stud on the right has a flat spot on it that, I am sure, keeps it from rotating on the cam and has chipped tiny pieces off of the edge of the gear (cam). The cam itself is pitted and bearing races are pitted as well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Can't really see the cam at that angle,are there any chunks out of it?

Sending you a PM.
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series