Which tailgates interchange?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Which tailgates interchange?

Hi,
I came across someone selling a tailgate that has been in storage the past 14 years. He thinks it fit a 68 pickup. I have a 62 Travelette. In your opinion, will this tailgate be a perfect fit?

I'm actually looking to replace the entire bed, but so far the only straight one I've come across for a reasonable price had wood and dirt in it for so long it rotted through the bottom. And it had no tailgate.

So will this tailgate work for my application? And what is the procedure for removing the tailgate. I've never done that before.

Thanks.

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Which tailgates interchange?

I can't check anything pre 1966 but... '66-'75 used the same tailgate (162673R11) so it's very probable that the same was used from the A-series on.

Btw,did you see the 2 Travelettes posted in Diamonds last week? One could be a twin of yours.
I copied a pic from one that has a pretty good shot of the radio,thought it might help.

12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:16 pm

They look identical to me. I saw a 70s step side IH once that had an identical tailgate to my 58. I don't think they were too quick to change things. Just to be on the safe side, might get some measurements.

Also from the looks of pics (I've never removed one of this style myself, either) you should be able to remove the hinge pins on either side by taking out the big screw that holds it inside the tailgate opening. The flat metal brackets can be taken off the tailgate by sliding them to the bottom where they 'keyhole' into the round hole at the bottom of the slot.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 pm

OhioBoy wrote:They look identical to me. I saw a 70s step side IH once that had an identical tailgate to my 58. I don't think they were too quick to change things. Just to be on the safe side, might get some measurements.

Also from the looks of pics (I've never removed one of this style myself, either) you should be able to remove the hinge pins on either side by taking out the big screw that holds it inside the tailgate opening. The flat metal brackets can be taken off the tailgate by sliding them to the bottom where they 'keyhole' into the round hole at the bottom of the slot.

Thanks.
I'll just have to try it and see what comes apart.

BTW I can't find the post where that picture came from. Do you have a link for it?
It appears the radio in that one also sits back a little from the bezel and not flush with it. I guess that's just the way it's supposed to be.

Thanks.
Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:46 am

overdriveSteve wrote:Thanks.
I'll just have to try it and see what comes apart.

Take a bunch of pictures and save every little thing in a ziploc. If it comes apart, it will go back together.

Unless it's something from Walmart. Those Chinese factory workers are geniuses when it comes to stuffing things in boxes.

And once it's out you will never get that sh :t10512: back in again! :biggrowl:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Return to A, B, C and D Series