diesel swap

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: diesel swap

I was surprised to discover that the 6.2 and the 6.5 were cast for GM at IHC. Look for the IH or NAVISTAR in one or more places on the blocks.
These engines seem to last for a very long time in domestic applications. My friend Kelly was changing them out a the rate of one a week when this engine was current. He was contracted to a Dealer because the dealer could not keep up with the warrantee . The big problem was cylinder head movement compromising the head gaskets and leaking. I have two retired mechanic friends who replaced their 6.5s with 12 valve CUMMINS fueled with the "P" pump.
What works and makes an owner happy is possibly the best choice.
I would like to install an older GM 4-53 turbo in something truck like. You Tube have a variety of inspirations. I love the sound and that is about all the positive I have to say. Really, the 4-53 is much too heavy for the minor power that it can make. But, OH that sound.
http://youtu.be/x5Fx2FDjtqU
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:35 am

If you like the sound that much, you can record it and play it throught the stereo while you're driving around.

I think I'll try "rocket propulsion" that way- or maybe the sound that the Jetson's flying car makes....... :D
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:11 am

The original post says you've made up your mind, but you seem to have some doubts. I noticed in the video that the whole truck body has been widened about 8 or 10 inches. You don't say what year the Powerstroke is. Here is some information that could save you a lot of time-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IYaJur9V00

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:41 am

What a tragedy it would be, for you, if your PS needs an injector or three and hopefully never the pump that powers the HUEY injection. These special injectors are typically more than $1000 each. The HUEY pump can add more than $5000 to the repair. A typical PS injection re&re is $7000 to $15,000. Very often it is not possible to know if the maintenance including mandatory oil changes have been done at the recommended intervals. This very complex fuel system does not tolerate dirty oil.
This fuel system was developed jointly by Navistar and Cat. As bad as a 7.3 can be, the. 6.0 was much worse .
A local light truck recycler has a beautiful shop and they can do any PS repair. The owner told me that in a typical month they have two customer trucks sighed over to them and the customer walks away, unless they can be convinced to convert to CUMMINS for a lower cost.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:36 am

Still, my 6.2's have over 250k miles on them. Each. No problems with heads or gaskets.
Only thing I've done is to convert to self limiting glow plugs. Though, soon I need to swap the cam chains, but that's it.
Another nice thing is that they cost about 1/4 of what I have to pay for a 4BT, and that's complete with a 4 speed slushbox....
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Some more thoughts to ponder. If you are going to put something non-stock in, it will be the one and only chance to get the engine you WANT. Don't put something in because it is lieing around, figuare out what will fit you needs best. The worce reason for an engine swap is because you have it on hand. If doing all the work to install a non stock engine, it should meet you needs and expecations or why bother? Brian makes good points re the PS, I had one in a service truck and it was one heavy lump of iron. Also had a 6.9 and other then low output, and heavy oil useage, it did as asked. I wouldn't make either of these top of the list for an engine swap. I have to admit I am partial to inlines esp inline 6's. V8's are low on my list.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 pm

OK, I guess I should have phrased it, "I've made up my mind to have a diesel" A turbo six is cool, but I think a diesel engine (whatever it may be) would be perfect for this. I'm not set on a powerstroke, and the more I read about it, it just seems wildly impractical for what I would get out of it. I'll just keep holding out for a cummins 4bt then, put a 5 speed behind it, put a turbo on it..... I'm excited already! :t0201: I'm just not too excited about the GM diesels, sure they're cheap and fairly reliable, but the non turbos are real pigs, and, if you ask me, they're just too light duty for a truck.

I appreciate all your guys' feedback, so that I don't end up with something that is way more work than it's worth..... I totally agree with CB89, this was my first truck, and I plan for it to be my last truck, so I will build it the way I want, piece by piece, and do it right! there's nothing worse than a cobble job IMO

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 am

If your set on a diesel, then the Cummins seams like the best fit (both physicly and power) They were made by the 1000's and are more often found in industrial trim. I would think it possable to buy a junk/ blown block 6B from a Dodge to rob the automotive parts from if an automotive 4B can''t be had reasonable. I know of no other diesel that is as compact, readly avaiable and has so many parts/adapators avaible in the aftermarket.
Detroits are large, heavy and slow, Automotive V-8 diesels are heavy and hard to fit in an L or R model IHC. Merc, and other car diesels are too low output for a truck. The only execption is the Isuzu diesel used in the small cabover trucks, but these don't have a great rep and are expensive. They are a 4 cyl inline turbo, if you could get one reasonable it might be worth looking at. The don't have a lot of aftermarket parts like the Cummins however. They are a turbo/intercooled truck engine however.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:39 pm

I think a 6bt is too big for my truck, I only have a short wheelbase 1/2 ton pickup, and I'm more and more convinced that a powerstroke/cummins6bt/detroit diesel is just too big and heavy for my truck. A cummins 4bt would be the most ideal. what parts swap over from a 6bt? everything but the turbo? If I'm correct, they're basically the same engine but with more or less cylinders right?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:31 pm

A lot will transfer from the 6 to the 4 B engine. A bellhouseing that will bolt to the 6B will bolt to the 4B. They are similer execpt for the number of cyl.
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series