diesel swap

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: diesel swap

I doubt an IFS from a car will handle the weight,Brian(Nikkinutshop) is building a L110 into a 4x4 with a Cummins with air ride so there's an option. A lot of fabricating and it won't be cheap though.

Check his build thread.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3208

The stock front end should be fine though it may even need heavier springs with the extra weight. I myself would wait and see before getting into changing something unnecessarily.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Think the 4BT weighs in less than the SD220

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:33 pm

I can't see how you can go wrong with boxing the frame and even perhaps welding a piece of channel or I beam under the frame rail.
I just saw a early 60s IHC pickup at the wrecking yard with baby railroad track welded under it and it looked GOOD, very professional installation long ago.
Sorry I didn't take a picture.
I've boxed several frames. Time consuming, not difficult. Cut the box section a little narrow so you don't have to weld upside down on the bottom weld.
Of course if the frame is out then it doesn't matter much. Turn the frame upside down to weld the bottom part.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 pm

Just for the fun of it, check out the Cummins in a enter the vehicle of your choice here on You Tube. One of my favorites is a Chevy Monte Carlo with a Cummins 6bta and automatic. I like some of the DURAMAX in a Corvette.
The old Detroit Diesels sound really nice, to me, BUT, there are more factors that tell me NO, don't do it than there are in favour. Like someone said, take a recording and play it back.
I am more than a little biased toward CUMMINS because of the excellent way I was treated by that company. So this bias should be considered when I have an opinion.
I would really like to find and buy a 1926 CUMMINS MODEL F twin cylinder, just because. http://youtu.be/voM4LbLgEes
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:13 am

I think 4x4 would be a good option, a truck without 4wd around here is absolutely useless in the snow. boxing the frame will be good too, I looked under the truck and there's a crack in the frame under the front passenger side body mount, so that will need to be fixed also. I plan to take the body of the frame at some point, so it will be a good time to fix that. I just need some parts now, it's darn near impossible to find a 4bt in running condition for under 2k.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 pm

I have a F5L912 Deutz in my warm weather road truck and trailer toter ( a 73 Ford f250 3/4 ton) . Over 250k and no problems . not the most power in the world with just 435 np trans but ad a 5831F spicer midship 3 speed and it gets the job done. Ford dana stock rear axel 350 ratio. 28 mpg on the supper slab 25 a round town 21 with flat trailor 18 with stock trailor cows or none. only problem its gets cold below 35 dg in the cab. its my minne truck tractor wayne

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:10 pm

You Are Wasting your time if you think that you will able to do anything engine work wise correctly for two grand or less.
There are two 4bta Cummins on Craigslist, here, today. Both run and are about $2K.

If there is any interest:

Look for 4bta Cummins Powered bread truck, buy the complete unit, drive it home and get a feel for the engine. Pull the drive line and sell the aluminum van for scrap. You may recover most of your costs and get a nice Diesel engine and transmission for almost free. This works.
Your new 8.8 will be just fine with a 4bta. http://youtu.be/piPq01w1YHo

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:29 pm

F5L912 Deutz heater
I was at an IHC event and one of the guys had installed a DEUTZ in his Binder. He had a heat exchanger in the oil cooler circuit which took some of the heat from the engine oil and transferred it to the coolant side of the exchanger. A coolant pump that was activated by the demand for heat switch circulated the coolant through the IH heater. He said that this was enough heat for an Alberta Winter.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Deutz Air cooled were option in GM trucks in the 60's or 70's (never saw one) but they ran the oil from the cooler loop through the heater core. I don't know if it was a special core or if they just ran oil thru the stock core. I have seen a brochure on them. I bet it took a little longer to get heat with oil then coolant.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 pm

been a while since i've been on the forum. after much soul searching and deliberation, I've made the decision to not use a diesel engine. I looked at the pros and cons of a diesel vs gas for what I wanted to do, and a gasoline came out on top every time. I realized I basically wanted a diesel just for the novelty of it.
My truck is going to be built as a driver/pro touring/rat rod. I want to fix it up to run and drive like a modern car, with all of the amenities, but I will leave the exterior mostly stock with all of the patina.
Mainly the choice I had was to use the 4bt, or to use a 5.3/LS engine. The cummins is heavy, much harder to find, somewhat outdated, and is loud, dirty, and smelly (not bad things, but things to consider) Whereas, I can find a lower mileage, running 5.3 with a harness and computer for around 700 bucks in this neck of the woods. they come stock with 325 HP, and with a cam, valve springs, and some decent heads, I can get 400-450 hp. the 5.3 routinely will go over 300,000 miles with periodic maintenance, as will the cummins, but when it comes time to replace or rebuild, the 5.3 wins out again. This truck will never see a trailer or likely any heavy loads, and I think the 5.3 will have the edge over the 4bt in the fun factor also.
I really do appreciate all of the input, insight, and suggestions made here. I believe in my heart that someday I will own a torque monster diesel, but this truck won't be the recipient.
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series