How to read a Line Setting Ticket?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:43 am

How to read a Line Setting Ticket?

Hi,
I finally got around to ordering the Line Setting Tickets for my trucks. Do Line setting tickets give specification data, in particular the wheelbase of the truck? Can the wheelbase be determined from any of the LST info? Still have not been able to take possession of my Loadstar, otherwise I would just go out and measure.
Thanks.
Steve

(How do I make them larger or easier to read?)
Last edited by overdriveSteve on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:26 am

Re: How to read a Line Setting Ticket?

Steve,
See the line above where the codes start that has the model number? The next digits are the WB and after that the GVWR.

An LST is the spec. data,when a salesman wrote up the spec's from a sales data book on the form he'd use the same codes (5 digits ie;13035 for a trans.) you see on the LST.

This should be helpful...
http://ih.wargenstahm.se/LST/LST.html
Next click "Introduction" on the left.

Also each IH parts manual has info about LST's and chassis numbers in the main index.
Last edited by Scottso on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Scottso wrote:Steve,
See the line above where the codes start that has the model number? The next digits are the WB and after that the GVWR.

An LST is the spec. data,when a salesman wrote up the spec's from a sales data book on the form he'd use the same codes (5 digits ie;13035 for a trans.) you see on the LST.

This should be helpful...
http://ih.kicks-ass.net/LST/LST.html
Next click "Introduction" on the left.

Also each IH parts manual has info about LST's and chassis numbers in the main index.

Hi,
And thank you for your reply. Where could I get a "sales data book" for '62 or '65? It would be really great to know all the possible options that were available. And it might help in determining what assemblies or options can interchange between trucks. The one I'm most concerned with is the '65 Loadstar 4x4, the Line Setting Ticket I enlarged above. Does anyone have a picture of a "sales data book" they can post so I have some idea what I'm looking for?
Thanks.
Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:30 pm

I highly doubt you'll find any of those books,they were probably trashed by the sales depts. after the model was discontinued.

The nearest thing I know of is in this link...
http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... ate/page/1
They really screwed up with the years,I look for model numbers myself.

These are more of a brochure a dealer would hand you and are nowhere near what was in a SDB.

FYI,
To see the entire thing use your cursor on the "pull down" in the center,hold left click and move the cursor downwards. You can also move the page around with holding left click on it.

Exactly what do you mean by "determining what assemblies or options can interchange between trucks"?
Much of that can be at least narrowed down with the parts manuals,it might be time consuming though.
For the Loadstar the MT-112 is the book that covers yours. Unfortunately Irish Mike doesn't have it,but he has the MT-127 (71-73) which can be useful and the MT-132 (73-'78). I often use both and compare pn's to see if there was a change.

I see on the 1600 LST to the left of the codes a few "SE"s which indicates Special Equipment and many of those are not in the MT parts manuals.When we ran into those and it wasn't in the book we had to call Ft.Wayne Spec's and give them all the info then wait for a call back.
Looking at the LST it may be just a case of something not being normally used in a 1600 (at that time anyway)?
I took a quick peek in the MT-127 and looked up the clutch and alternator,nothing "special" about either. The 13" clutch is the same one that would in later years become the "norm" in a SV8 equipped Loadstar. I sold so many of them the pn's are engrained in my memory. I didn't see any special with the alt. either other than it being an optional size.

If you really,really want to try and find the SDB you could give the WHS a shot. I have no idea of what they got from IH other than what they've put online,but I understand they got volumes of literature. One obstacle might be that like every other IH publication it has a number,what it was is beyond me.

Btw,the 1600 LST was fine as originally posted,I just open it in a new tab and enlarged,now I can't.

Edit...
On a whim and since I wasn't busy I did a search using "1965 international loadstar sales data book",got a lot the usual crap hits BUT one piqued my interest.
Opening the link lead me to finding this...
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/f/ ... r;value=in

Scrolling down a bit I found this...
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/f/ ... s-m2001145

SO,just maybe in one of those boxes they have what you want? Can't say if they'll even try finding it though.

Looking at the page in the 1st link,they have some archive! I'd love to got through it!!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:31 am

hi,
Those are some incredible links you provided. Thank you!
I tried to see if I could get copies of any of the data sales books or brochures from Wisconsin, but no luck.
Strange that you can no longer open the first LST above in a new tab and enlarge it, as that's the only one I can enlarge.
Regardless, to make them more readable I've included links to pdf files so they can be enlarged to whatever size needed to read clearly. I'll have a lot of questions, especially on Loadstar brake parts so readability is important.

Loadstar 1600 4x4 LST pdf file:
'65 Loadstar 1600 4x4 LST-1 pdf
'65 Loadstar 1600 4x4 LST-2 pdf
Travelette C120 4x4 LST pdf file:
'62 Travelette C120 4x4 LST-1 pdf
'62 Travelette C120 4x4 LST-2 pdf
Thanks.

Although somewhat premature, just thought I'd ask now so I can start looking. I've heard from one other person with a 74 Loadstar that he needs a lot of extra distance to bring his truck to a stop when traveling the freeway. And judging by the look of the webbing on his rear axle housing, he appears to have the same rear axle as my '65 Loadstar. And I assume brake designs were improved over the years since 1965.
So my question is, what later brake designs or upgrades will work with no or limited custom fabrication on my truck? What would be the newest, best brakes I could possibly put on my axles? I don't mind changing the backing plate and everything associated with it, or upgrading to hydraulic wedge brakes or disc brakes, but don't want to change the axle itself. Do I have any upgrade options for newer (better) brakes than the brakes designed in 1965 now on my truck's axles? What was the last year they used that axle? Same questions for the front too.

Thank you.
Steve

Last edited by overdriveSteve on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:39 pm

I copied both LST's and added them to the file I keep,makes it soooo much easier for me.

The reality is for the LS brakes,keep what is there. The brakes you have are Wagner and were used into the late '80's,maybe later but I left the dealer ('89) and went to driving OTR in '90 so I can't be sure after '89.
Don't judge how your brakes will work from someone else's experience.If a brake job is done right,the brakes will work just fine.
When the time comes,start a thread in the Loadstar section and I'll help the best I can. I already checked a couple things,the front code isn't in the later MT-127 but I don't think that's a problem. The rear are 16x5 which was a very common size,enough so that I can give you the pn's for cylinders,return springs and a few other things from memory.
I doubt your rear is the same as that '74,your code isn't in the later book either,plus it's unwise to go by how something "looks" as many rears look alike.

In case I didn't mention it,the MT-112 is the IH parts manual that covers your truck,you may want to start looking for one.Just so you know,it's a thick book (about 4-6") because it also covers the cab over Loadstar and maybe 1 or 2 RE's (rear engine) and FC's (forward control) so they may be pricey.

Did a quick search and found this...
http://www.robertsbookshop.com/?page=sh ... ct_id=3836

Nice price and it apparently comes with the old style expandable post binder. Those are nice binders,no plastic...metal spline and hinges.

BinderBooks is pricey,but it is a new reprint and probably the last revision IH made.
https://www.binderbooks.com/1962-78%20Loadstar.htm

None showed up on epay though.

Keep in mind the trucks age and there were pn changes etc. over the years,so IMO the one in the 1st link would suffice.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 pm

This is a very appropriately named thread... especially in my case. I also ordered the LST for my truck and it arrived today. Unfortunately, it is barely legible. It looks like a third generation copy that is so out of focus that you can barely make out half of the entries on the first page and none of the entries on the second page.

The images of the LST that appear at the start of this thread are nearly perfect and what I was expecting to see.

Anyone know if this a common problem with these old archived records? Or should I write back to the historical society and ask if there is something more they can do to make the LST readable?

Thanks,
Pete

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:50 am

By all means, write to them. You might also call and talk to one of the folks.
Just my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:22 am

PeterH wrote:This is a very appropriately named thread... especially in my case. I also ordered the LST for my truck and it arrived today. Unfortunately, it is barely legible. It looks like a third generation copy that is so out of focus that you can barely make out half of the entries on the first page and none of the entries on the second page.

The images of the LST that appear at the start of this thread are nearly perfect and what I was expecting to see.

Anyone know if this a common problem with these old archived records? Or should I write back to the historical society and ask if there is something more they can do to make the LST readable?

Thanks,
Pete

Hi Peter,
LST's come from microfilm (at least mine did) and microfilm printers are rather old technology by today's technology standards. My printed copies are hard to read too. Clarity is lost in converting the original LST to microfilm. And more clarity is lost in printing from the microfilm. However, they will also send you a copy of your LST in jpg and/or pdf format if you request it, and for the same price (at least they did for me). And the pdf version is far more readable than the printed version they provide.

My initial LST pics I posted above were the jpg versions they sent me. Then I did a screen capture of the pdf version of my first LST, converted it to jpg and posted it. That's why its bigger, and split into two. Then I later figured out how to post a pdf file in this forum.

Just request a pdf version of your LST and I believe you will find it more acceptable (readable).

And Scottso, I can't thank you enough.

Thank you again.

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Well Pete, Steve's explanation is pretty much what I was going to say. Even new the fiche weren't all that sharp and if the reader is dirty it can make it worse when printing off them.
I'd get a JPG version,they easier to work with like pasting etc. and can easily be made into a PDF so you'd have both.

Reading Steve's post again... So fill me in on how you made a JPG form the PDF? I'd like to use the illustrations from the parts books sometimes but just can't get that to work. I can copy off a PDF and paste it into Wordpad/RTF but when I copy that it won't paste! :t2102:
Last edited by Scottso on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series