A-120 tear down questions

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:35 pm

A-120 tear down questions

1. How do I get the pin that holds the ends of the springs out of the rear shackle? I can't see any way to reach it from the back to pound it out, and I don't want to drill out the rivets that hold the shackle. This thing has sat for at least 30 years, and don't think it will come out by me talking nice to it.

2. Stupid question of the day (and I'm sure I already know the answer) - Does anybody produce replacement floor pans for the A-series? I can't believe anybody does, but I wanted to ask before I make my own.

That's it for now. Thanks for the help,

Brent

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: A-120 tear down questions

Hi Brent,

I think we are on our own for the floor pans. I looked as well but didn't find anything for my 62 B150.

Pete

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:04 am

Not having the truck in front of me, all it can offer is the instructions from the shop manual, hopefully they'll make sense to you- like I said the trucks not here for me to see what they are talking about:

1, place floor jack under truck frame and raise sufficiently to relieve weight from spring to be removed.

2, remove shock absorbers

3, remove U-bolts, spring bumper and retainer or U-bolt seat

4, remove lubricators (Not used on springs equipped with rubber bushings)

5, remove nuts from spring shackle pins or bracket pins

6, slide spring off bracket pin and shackle pin

7, if spring is rubber bushed, bushing halves may be removed from each side of spring and shackle eye

Hope this helps
Gary
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:15 am

I went over to Irish Mike's Library (Thanks again Irish Mike!!) and looked at your set up. It looks like you have a cinch bolt that retains the pin. The cinch bolt has to be removed as there is a cutout on the shackle pin. If there is not a hole in the frame to get to the pin from the backside the only suggestion I have is to try making a puller attachment using the grease Zerk hole in the end you can get to. I doubt it will hold well enough to free a really rusted fast pin but possibly might let a slide hammer pop it out. If not I think your going to have to drill out the rivets and remove the spring hanger. MM

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks for all the help, guys. All of the advice was pretty much what I was thinking; just didn't know if I was missing something. I thought about the puller from the zerk hole idea, but thinking it's going to include a fair bit (as in quite a lot) of heat and penetrating oil prior to tugging on it. Also, not sure how deep the zerk threads go, but I also thought about threading a bolt with a "lock" nut into the zerk hole - not to pull, but see if I can turn the pin before I try to pull it.

Let me know if that sounds completely crazy, but again, thanks for the input; it's always nice to have some people you can bounce ideas off of and ask for help.

Brent

Return to A, B, C and D Series