Power steering pump

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Power steering pump

I'm looking for suggestions for both bracketry for adding a power steering pump to the front of my A-120 with a BD240 engine, and also info on powering it with a V-belt. If someone has done this I'd like to see what you did. If there are pullies available with 2 grooves for the 240, I'd like to know that as well. I understand this engine was used in a combine also. Probably still single pulley though. It was suggested to use a two groove pulley on the alternator, but it has been suggested that might not work well also. I'm not opposed to moving the alternator around to make it work, just looks hard to get good contact with the single V-belt for both the alternator and the pump...

Thanks in advance for any input.
Bryan Curtman
Rosebud, mo
clcco@fidmail.com
Old IH 4x4's, Jeeps, and Minneapolis Moline tractors

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Re: Power steering pump

Not a good idea running a PS pump in conjunction with any other accessories.
Since I don't have the MT-110 to look at I used the MT-118 ('66-'68) which shows the PS pump run of the WP pulley with a single belt. I Googled the double groove WP pulley pn and it gets zilch,which means the pn has never been posted anywhere.
An option is to run it off the crankshaft pulley,which I surmise yours is single groove(?). Not a problem,the SV8's use the same one and the pn got hits in a search.

151523R2 Pulley,double groove
https://www.google.com/#q=151523R2+pulley&tbs=li:1

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/Par ... m=151523R2

I'm guessing you don't have the parts manual so here's a link to the MT-118 Group 5 steering. There you can look at the diagrams for the pump mounting to give you an idea of what IH used and where it was all mounted.

https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/1 ... 93565763/1
See;
Fig. 05-13 (1000A & B)
Fig. 05-14 (1100/1200A & B)

If you go with the CS pulley it's very likely you'll need to figure out the correct pulley diameter for the pump for it to operate in the correct RPM range.

Why did you start a new thread after asking the same question in the build thread??? :roll:
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Just as a note, the BD 282 I got out of a B or A series (don't remember which, as I just bought the engine not the truck) the PS was driven off the waterpump. The waterpump was driven with a single wide belt, the waterpump had a wide groove and a narrower goove for the belt drive to the PS pump. IIRC my RD 406 had the PS pump driven the same way.
On the heavyer trucks of the 60's the powersteering boxes at the time ran a lower pressure then the same boxes do today (i.E Sheppard 39 vs. 392). Pressure might have been a factor on why most modern PS pumps are driven by a dedicated belt.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Thank you. Great info that will help me get it done. I wasn't getting any responses in my build post, so I posted a new question. It worked! You can delete my same question in my build post if you want. Thanks!
Bryan Curtman
Rosebud, mo
clcco@fidmail.com
Old IH 4x4's, Jeeps, and Minneapolis Moline tractors

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:03 pm

I saw the post in the build thread,just didn't get to reply before you started a new one. It might be a good idea to merge this thread into the build thread.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Hey Scottso, i have a 1965 D1100 4x4 1/2 ton p/u. I need to replace the front axle brake linning, rebuild wheel cylinders and maybe rebuild, rebush some other parts. I never had one of these apart, can u hook me up with a link to a complete tear down of the front axle please ? I am not doing this tomorrow so whenever u get the time i would really appreciate it. T.Y., :D Sid..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:22 am

I'll see what I come up with Sid and PM you.

Return to A, B, C and D Series