'59 BC-150

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:50 am

Re: '59 BC-150

Cornbinder, interesting points. My HV was not mounted on the frame - just kind of hung in the engine compartment. As I noted, it worked very well. That said, I just can't drive a vehicle with a single brake system. I converted my 56 Chevy to dual brakes in '87 and on the first trip out, blew a rear brake line in IL. I got the car stopped without problems - it could have been a disaster. I had my wife and three girls in the car and that event really convinced me to convert any vehicle to dual brake systems. I have driven this truck about 3000 miles over the years and always was nervous.

I had considered using Hydroboost system, but again it is complex, and I don't like the idea of cutting into the PS system.

Both the HV and HB system parts are not available off the shelf in most parts houses. Not a huge deal as this is more of my play toy and not a daily driver. That said, I hope to tow it to a couple of events behind our bus. Some of these areas are a bit remote. I really like the idea of standard parts (maybe one day delivery).

My truck should be fairly light (my guess is about 6-7K pounds unloaded and maybe 10K loaded (9K GVW but you know how IH underrated their GVWs). I have not gotten into the brakes yet, but I think they are 14 inch.

As always, I leave myself back doors in case my approach does not work ;)
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'59 BC-150 (website: http://beltguy.com/bc150)
'59 Farmall 340

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:38 pm

I side with CB on this.
Another thing you need to know and add into the equation is the brake sizes,and along with that the wheel cylinder bores (should be 1-3/8).

The first model I'm sure of using a dual system is the Loadstar,which requires 2 H-vac units (as CB stated too). It was an optional system with the exception of school buses which at some point became mandatory,along with a vac. res. tank for each unit.

Where/how did you come up with the pn for the original MC? It doesn't jibe with what I looked up in the IH book and triple checked+++ when cross referencing for the list I've been working on. I never rely on aftermarket parts catalogs no matter what type they are. Back in my dealer days they weren't reliable and seem to be worse now,especially the online things.

I find 2 for the AC/BC 150 (plus earlier models)
89410R91 IH without H-vac
MC3573 Raybestos
MC3573 Wagner

49103H IH w/H-vac
MC681 Raybestos
MC681 Wagner

Both are 1-1/8" bore however.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 pm

This is an old thread that I thought I would bring back to life.

When we last left off, there was some second guessing some of my project decisions. Being a stubborn engineer, I went ahead with my plans. While I have only been able to drive the "rebuilt" truck around the property, the major modifications (dual brake system and power steering) seem to work very well. The truck is not completed sufficiently to drive on the street yet, but I suspect those tests (hopefully this summer) will confirm my initial testing.

I have updated the project pages since my last post, but they don't reflect some of the more recent work.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'59 BC-150 (website: http://beltguy.com/bc150)
'59 Farmall 340
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series