'59 BC-150

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:37 am

Re: '59 BC-150

10KW :shock: I think overkill is putting it mildly. Do you have things rigged to power your house if needed?

What year LS did the 392 come out of? You swapped engines in that Eagle so this should be a piece of cake!
Why hot use a Ross steering gear from a Loadstar? You have the pump for one.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Manfred, I ran across the pictures I took and thought of you the other day. Have not given up on the model :)

Scottso, I am not sure what year truck the engine came out of. It is the improved cooling. I tried to use the serial number (E1087655) to track down the year, but nobody could help.

I thought about the Loadstar steering box and would have gone that direction if the truck was a bigger model. The Saginaw should be fine and it is easy to find U-joints to fit the splined shaft. Should be fairly easy to make a mounting bracket (too cheap to buy the Advanced Adapter unit).

The 10KW generator for the bus is about average. With three roof airs running and the inverter charging at 100 amps, it gets a bit of a workout. I have rigged a way to power the house in the event of a big storm. Indeed, I have done that a couple of times.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'59 BC-150 (website: http://beltguy.com/bc150)
'59 Farmall 340

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:49 pm

I think you will run into problems using the original pitman arm on a Saginaw gear and finding one for a Saginaw that the drag link will work with is highly doubtful.
FYI
Back when the truck was built the PS used "assist cylinders" with the same gear and DL either way. Some Loadstar systems also used cylinders that were usually found on the lighter axles like the FA-48, 71 & 72. Any idea what axle you have? My guess is a 48 (4700#).

As far as I know IH never published a list pertaining to engine serial numbers,if they did it was for the service dept. Yours has 7 digits so I'd say it's a late 70's engine. Is the distributor points or electronic? All I can tell in the pic is that it's a Holley (with a governor?). Might be able to narrow it down by the distr(?).

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, I have conflicting information about the year of the engine. The distributor is PN 427965 (one source says it is a Holly 1510) and has points. The carb is a Holley 4150 (I think) and does have a governor. The engine is improved cooling.

Over on Binder Planet, there is a thread (cited in another thread today) that talks about engine identification: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48508&highlight=year+engine. It has a list of "codes" for casting numbers on the driver side bell housing area.
Here are a few letters with corresponding years that we have stumbled upon for engine casting date codes.

"S" most likely 1971
"T" - 1972
"W" - 1973
"X" - 1974
"Y" - 1975
"Z" - 1976
"A" - 1977
"B" - 1978
"C" - 1979
"D" - 1980

My casting code is "9 13 T" The codes listed above would suggest that my block was cast on 9/13/72. That does not agree with the start of IC engines ('73). I also read about differences in rocker arms in this thread: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118040. Guess I will need to pull a valve cover in the near future.

Thanks for all the help.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'59 Farmall 340

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:01 am

Well........
I found your dist. # (427965C91) in the MT-132 ('73 up Loadstars) under 392 production #'s ,it is a Holley 1510 w/governor,without tach drive.That pn is not in the MT-127 ('71-73) and as I remember it in '76 the 1530 electronic dist. was the more common dist. used. I won't say "standard" because with IH there was no such thing. So the best estimate is '73-'75.

A 4150G Holley carb. sounds correct,there should be a 3/16th steel line going from the dist. to the gov. on the carb.

I read the threads from BP and I'm the one who posted the links in another thread. They are off on when Improved cooling was introduced,it was more like 1971 and maybe earlier but without the MT-112 ('62-70 LS) I can't confirm that. I checked the water pipes #'s and they are the same in both the MT-127 ('71-73) & MT-132 books as are the head gasket sets. I know the left bank pipe for pre IC 392's was longer and has more bends since it went to the head and not the block. The reason it was changed was kinda covered in the one BP thread,the heads had cracking issues between cylinders.

I won't go into the rocker arm theory,it was by engine serial number which the MT-127 notes but without giving the sn break. :roll: The 132 only lists them as Boat & Cast types with no sn notes.SO that is an inaccurate way to date an engine.

The letter/year table according to one poster (the OP?) is from a non IH book on tractors so I can't say if it covers truck engines accurately.

Your block could very well have been cast in '72 but that doesn't mean it was used in production right away either.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:53 pm

I have been picking away at this "rebuild". In the past few weeks, I have mounted the 392 and T35 transmission, disassembled and inspected the Holley 1510 distributor, and rebuilt a Holley 1850 carb. and installed a Saginaw power steering box. Here are a few pictures:

The original carb was a Holley 4323-3 which is a 4160 governor type car. That carb is really complex and I pieced together a Holley 1850. In the photo you can see a Moroso 64930 carb spacer. I use that partly for the heat block and partly to make sure the primary throttle plates clear the bore.

The Holley 1510 distributor was a governor unit. I removed the governor components and reassembled it. The mechanical advance springs need to be replaced and the vacuum can has a leak. I am trying to get replacement parts (difficult). May end up using a Delco/IH distributor.

The power steering was quite a project. I made the mounting plate and welded it in the reinforced frame. The U-joints make the installation fairly straight forward (once you get the right ones.

More updates as the project progresses.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'59 Farmall 340

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Jim, To quote you from Peters thread...

"I am coming to the party a little late. I just removed the HV from my '59 BC 150. Am converting to a dual brake system with a "standard" vacuum chamber, so I don't need the HV. It was working great when I removed."

My question is why? Have you done the research and found a booster/MC unit with sufficient capacity to do the job?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 pm

To add to what Scott has said, frame mounted booster typicly have more Vacuum storage then master cyl types as well, this means more "reserve if the engine dies, you'll still be able to stop. Just 'cause it works under ideal conditions doesn't mean it will when stuff goes wrong, and thats not the time to find out.
I don't know where you'd find the spec's but vacuum storage capacity, fiuld displacement, and pressure in vs presure out would all be need for an apples to apples comparison.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi Scott and Cornbinder. Since I am an engineer, there is almost nothing I do without quite a bit of research.

The key to the decision is that I wanted a dual brake system where the front and rear brakes are on separate circuits. My research led me to a Wagner 66587 master cylinder for a 60s Chevy truck that had drum brakes all around. Here is some info on that MC: http://www.yoyoparts.com/oem/11077440/dorman-m66787.html .

My original MC was a FD3921: http://shop.industrialbrakeandclutch.com/BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-FD3921-M357330.htm

Both are 1 1/8 bore.

I am not sure how one would use the old vacuum system for a dual (independent) brake system. I guess you would have to adapt a dual master cylinder to the old system.

The vacuum chamber on the old system is about 6.5 inches diameter while the "new" vacuum chamber (off of a Scout) is about 8 inches in diameter and they both seem to be about the same length chamber. So the time to loss of vacuum would be about the same.

My other consideration was simplicity. With the old system you had a MC feeding the HV and that is a bit of a complex system with another MC. With the firewall mounted system you have a very simple (and reliable - used on millions of cars and truck) system. In addition it is a "pass though" system with a linear push rod system. If the vacuum system fails, the brake pedal force would be applied directly to the MC.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'59 Farmall 340

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:42 pm

I beleve one is a diapham and one a piston, and I don't know how that would effect force at different extension. I beleave a piston will give the same force throughout it travel, I;m not sure a diaphram will, it may depend on what shape it takes in the houseing. (if it is like an airbrake diaphram, it has a sweet spot where it produces the most force)
The hydrovac passes streight thru with no vacuum just like a firewall booster. it does it hyd'ly instead of mech
I do not know how the systems can be compared apples to apples but do know the heavyer trucks use frame mounts and not firewall booster,and there must be a reason for useing one over the other.

To use frame mounts on a dual system two a required.
Not trying to tell you what to do, just bringing up concerns.
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series