1968 1200C Steering wheel

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:34 pm

1968 1200C Steering wheel

Hi guys,

New here,
I'm in the final stages of a total resto of a 1968 1200c. Ill post some pictures in the near future! The truck looks amazing, can't wait to get it on the road. I have one last part to find and it's proving to be impossible. I cannot for the life of me find a decent non-cracked steering wheel. I've checked every international site I've come across, and every local parts shop i know. Does anybody have any suggestions of where I might find one? At this point i would be satisfied with an aftermarket wheel but i am unsure of how to properly measure the original to insure a proper fit... Can't risk buying one on eBay without knowing it will fit...

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help. And nice forum! I've found a lot of info here!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: 1968 1200C Steering wheel

Does it look like this one? : http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERNATIONAL-L ... ac&vxp=mtr

Some folks have bought a Kit for restoring the steering wheel, because they are so hard to find without cracks. How bad is yours?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Loadstar wheels have a larger spline IIRC,the light line also used a different style.

Many here have restored theirs with good results. Eastwood has a kit just for that and many here used it.
http://www.eastwood.com/complete-steeri ... n-kit.html

There are others plus places to have it done;
https://www.google.com/#q=steering+wheel+restoration

I'll find the IH part number and see what I can do with it,then add what I find (if anything) in this post.

EDIT...
Well,the IH pn was a total fail,it doesn't even open a search. :(
340962C91 Wheel,steering assy.

Also checked the Loadstar book,not even the nut pn matches the light lines.

So it appears restoration is the (only?) way to go. You can try looking for an aftermarket wheel but I have doubts on finding one.You'll need the shaft size and spline count to look.
Last edited by Scottso on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks Scott, As I am not familiar with the newer vehicles and there is not picture for those like me that are visually oriented. I went with the "guesstimate". You the Man! :t0201:

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey thanks a lot for the quick replies,

That wheel isn't even close! But i would take anything that fits regardless of what it looks like.

The cracks are big... I'm sure they can be repaired, but im worried the first time someone climbs in the cab and puts some weight on the wheel and flexes it, the apoxy and paint will crack.

How does one go about measuring the shaft size? And is the spline count just a count of each ridge??

Thanks!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:11 am

those repair kits are pretty good, if done right, I think that it will last for many years of use. Yes count the ridges on your shaft, that would need to correspond with the valleys on the steering wheel. Also in that mix is the diameter of the shaft. Wait and see if Scottso can come up with some more info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:31 am

Your profile doesn't say where you're located, but there's a junkyard in Outlook, WA that has about ten 60's binder in stock. They might need painting, but should be a decent steering wheel in there somewhere.

I've had luck on ebay by looking for a rig that is being parted out and then messaging the seller and requesting the specific part.

I am in the process of restoring a bicycle and will be resin casting the headlight bezel (since this is a nonexisting part- ANYWHERE! I think I may have the best original example in existence, even though it needed repair. I am casting it in order to save my original from any possible damage and to experiment with chrome-like finishes) Anyway, the in store promotional poster showed a steering wheel cast with this stuff.

I suppose it could be done, but it would need to have the steel rods and center to be functional, and you would have to either have or create a good model to cast your mold from. All of which begs the question- why not just fix or recreate your original on the frame in epoxy and use that? I guess if you or a friend had one good wheel and one busted/cracked one that you could strip the frame from it might work. Might work well for horn buttons or those horn button retainers that are always getting the ears snapped off, too.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm in Chatham Ontario Canada, about an hour from Detroit. I think we're just going to give repairing it a shot. My body guy says he can do it, has the apoxy and what not. So fingers crossed. Thanks for the info guys. Come mid december ill take some pictures and post them up. I have to say this thing has come together really well, and may just be one of the best examples out there.

Return to A, B, C and D Series