Bell Housing Bolt Size?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Bell Housing Bolt Size?

I have a BD220 motor that I want to put on an engine stand so I can take it apart. I can't find bolts in my limited collection that will fit the threaded holes on the back of the motor.

Anyone out there know the size of those bolts?

Also, now much would this motor weigh?

Thanks,
Pete

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Bell Housing Bolt Size?

Not sure on size of nut/bolt but motor will run well over 600lb

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Wow! 600+ pounds... I borrowed an engine stand rated for 1000 so I guess I won't ruin my neighbors engine stand. Suddenly wondering if I'll be able to pull the motor and trans at the same time with my gantry and hoist. Guess I could pull the motor separately from the trans.

Thanks,
Pete

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 am

Have pulled several BD220's, have had my hoist set at 1ton setting, had to run the bottom legs out a little bit further than normal. If you have the room for that you should have no problem. Put hoist at 1 1/2 ton setting if you can, to pull both engine and trans, again, keep the bottom legs out more than usual at that setting. Safety is paramount. I had a 304 on my hoist, I had to stand on the back end to keep it from tipping to the front when moving the hoist. Once I set the bottom legs out a little further, I did not have to ride it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:15 am

Those "settings" are cautionary guidelines for maximum weight at that extension. If this hoist was not made in USA and certified, it might be irresponsible or dangerous to trust the numbers.
I'm wondering what kind of situation this person is getting themselves into when the question about bolt size is asked and there seems to be a general lack of knowledge about engines. Is it just assumed that the engine needs a rebuild or has a professional taken measurements to determine a rebuild is required?
Engine rebuilding requires lots of specialized and expensive tools and machines, mostly found in machine shops. A proper rebuild will cost several thousands of dollars and there is no shortcut to success. It is important to know when to ask for professional help because of the number of important situations that must be considered. If anything is missed it was all a waste of time and money.
If the engine is not mounted on the stand properly, it can and most likely will fall and cause damage to the engine and anyone in the way.
A six cylinder engine is much longer than a V8 and if the 6 is the same weight as the 8, the extra length will put more stress on the stand.
If the engine stand is one of those goofy 3 wheel models, stop now. You are courting disaster.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:38 am

Do yourself a big favor and GOOGLE OTC engine stand. If you don't see the one you are using on their site, you may have a problem. Heavy engines need to be side mounted or supported on both end.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 am

Hello,

Everything said above is true and understood. To fill in some of the blanks:
1. the motor I'm focused on presently is already dead. It is a BD220 and was in the back of a parts truck I recently purchased. I'd like to take the oil pan off and the valve cover, and perhaps the head off for instructional purposes. Meaning, I'd like to see what it involves and try to discover what killed the motor before I consider doing the same to the motor in my project truck, which is a BD240.

2. My project truck has sat for at least the past 15 years and I'm working under the assumption that the motor and trans need a little attention. The cab needs a new floor. I'm working towards removing the cab so I can mount it on a rig of some sort and rotate the entire cab over so I can work on replacing the floor properly.

3. With the cab off, I imagine it will be a fairly straight forward thing to remove the motor if I need to.

4. The motor stand in question is a 4-wheeled affair of the sort you'd see in a Speedway catalog. It recently supported a 350ci V8 for several months. Still, this 6 cylinder motor is much longer and that does concern me. I will likely rig something to support the forward end of the motor just to be safe.

5. My hoist is really an overhead gantry affair that I bought at an auction years ago from a farmer who used it to pull tractor motors... and this was a big farm. I've used it to lift the BD220 out of the bed of the parts truck so I know it will pull the motor safely. Not sure about the trans and motor at the same time. But with the cab off, I should be able to remove just the motor without too much trouble.

I agree, safey is the most important aspect of this project. Rebuilding this truck is pointless if I hurt someone in the process.

Found a bolt with the right thread pitch last night but it was just a bit too small of a diameter... so I'll take it to the hardware store and buy what I think will work and test the size before buying more. Once I determine the correct size, I'll post that info, just in case someone else needs to know.

Thanks,
Pete

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 am

Peter, there shouldn't be any need to defend yourself. Just remember it is your truck and you can build it anyway that you so please. Maybe you were at work when you did the posting and wanted to know what size bolts would work for you, so you could pick some up on the way home!
Take that engine apart, what better way to learn about it. Good luck with your project and I look forward to reading about it. Jim

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:32 am

So far, I see this as a exchange of Ideas and clarification of things. There are many people who buy these trucks with NO real knowledge of what can be involved in the process. All are concerned about safety of everybody, and I think I can speak for all here on the forum, it is the owners truck, to do what they will with it. There are some on here who like and want to keep things original, there are others who are adamant about upgrading safety items, an there are those who's imagination and "where with all" determine the direction that they go with their rigs. ALL are welcome here.
By the way, I really like the 4 wheel engine stands, and an overhead "lift" is great!
Just my thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am

Do your health a big favor and wear nitrile disposable gloves. Because of the age of the engine it likely ran on leaded fuel and the crud inside is toxic.
Of course, do what you want, it's your life and your truck. If you have trouble identifying any of the bits, pieces and thingees, post pictures and someone will give offer their best guess.
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series