replace stering colum bushings in d-1100 3 on the tree

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:42 pm

replace stering colum bushings in d-1100 3 on the tree

My shifting linkage on the side of my stering column keeps binding up does anyone know a fix, or how to take it apart, any one have a manual.? I'm trying to take it apart but not going great.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Re: replace stering colum bushings in d-1100 3 on the tree

Someone with the CTS-2000ABC service manual needs to chime in here! I did a search and only got results for GM or Ford PU's. I don't know if either are similar or not though.
If there's not slop in the steering wheel end I wouldn't take it apart,replacement column bearing maybe NLA.

Looking at the later models the upper shift rod linkage ends have a bolt or pin that goes into the bushing on the lever.
The levers use rubber bushings akin to a grommet and "push" into the lever. I believe the bushing has a metal sleeve in the hole(?)
The lower/trans end appears to be similar? Maybe removing that end from the trans. levers would help getting the upper ends apart?

Since the model in question is in the same service manual as the A&B series maybe Gary could check his books? They may use the same set-up/parts?

Btw,this should have been asked in the thread already started IMO.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 pm

In some ways, you are correct Scott, However the last time we had two posting in the same thread about similar issues, we did have some confusion about who was replying to whom. If at a later date the answer turns out to be the same for both of these guys, I can "merge" the two threads, at least the important posts. I would hope that if an answer exists already on the forum, that someone will point the "new" Person asking the question to the appropriate area.

Those are just my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Lloyd, I was referring to this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2362

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 pm

I figured that much, but are these two trucks the same model year? If so, then I can bring the two threads together. I am not familiar with anything much newer than the 50's trucks, and mostly the L's.
Thanks for all you do Scott.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Same OP,same problem basically. Only truck he has as far as I know.
I'd never suggest merging threads concerning 2 totally different vehicles.I do however advocate "build threads" and the like for one particular truck with all questions pertaining to it all in one place. It makes following easier for all and can be good for future reference without the need to search too many threads.

As I mentioned in PeterH's thread about it,this and the 1st one plus the fuel pump thread could be merged and retitled to "1963 C1100 by Binder63". That way all the Q&A's are in one place and with the model in the title the info would be easy to find here and by anyone doing a web search. Google even picks up sub titles which would also benefit a web search. When I did mine I found only 1 old thread on BP pertaining to IH trucks with column shift,it was inconclusive to boot!

Just my thoughts. ;)

Return to A, B, C and D Series