Rear Main Seal Leak

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:45 am

Re: Rear Main Seal Leak

While you're at it, you might want to check to be sure the plug is in the front of the oil galley. If the rear one was left out, the front one may be too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:36 am

Good idea Paul , and CB good problem solving as usual , I have been following this and good to see a fix .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:39 am

PaulH wrote:While you're at it, you might want to check to be sure the plug is in the front of the oil galley. If the rear one was left out, the front one may be too.

I'd just start the engine, if he doesn't get oil pressure, that is the 1st place I'd look, if he gets good oil pressure, then you know the plug is installed. No sense dis assembling to check.
It is unlikely that he would get oil to the rockers with the front plug out, so my guess is it is in.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:43 am

Thanks for all the advise guys! I appreciate it as always!
I found a plug and got everything back together. I found a photo of the block after I got it back from the machine shop, and can see the front plug is installed thankfully.
I got the engine running on Saturday for the first time. It has good oil pressure and so far no major leaks. I did notice the float cover on the carb is dripping some fuel, so I'll have to address that. Otherwise, so far so good. I plan on running it a bit, then adjusting the valves while hot. I adjusted them to the spec in the manual during assembly, .019" if I remember correctly. I'm going to get it hot and check them.
Thanks again for all the help! I'' keep you all posted.

Bryon

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 am

All good news Bryon. Thanks to the pic showing the front plug. What a relief. Always good to hear them run after a rebuild. :yay:
Dennis
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series