Exhaust Spec Question

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:11 am

Exhaust Spec Question

Hi guys,

I'm curious if anyone has any info / opinions on the original exhaust systems installed on a 1958 / 59 A110 (BD240 engine). I ask because I am trying to restore our truck back to as original as possible, and recently received an exhaust from a vendor in Michigan that they built off specs they had. I guess I am looking for opinions or info as to if this system is in fact correct. I have attached photos below. I have two main concerns, though they may not be concerns at all. First, the new exhaust came without the flange to attach it to the manifold, which I think is going to be an issue. I can remove it from my old pipe (photo attached) but don't think I will be able to get it on the new pipe without cutting it. I reached out to the vendor and they said they didn't supply a new one because they are no longer available. I can probably figure something out with it though.
My second concern is diameter. The pipe from the manifold to the muffler inlet is 2 1/2 inch diameter. the muffler outlet and tail pipe are 1 1/2 inch diameter. Does anyone know if this is correct? I know this isn't a race car but it just looks really small to me, though if this is correct for the model it must be OK.
I also attached pages from my parts manual. Unfortunately it doesn't list diameters, so its not much help. My maintenance manual fails to mention anything about exhaust systems, so no help there either.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Epipe6.jpg
Epipe5.jpg
Epipe4.jpg
Epipe3.jpg
Epipe2.jpg
Epipe1.jpg
Epipe.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 am

Re: Exhaust Spec Question

1st see if you can slide the old flange onto the new pipe, worse case slit the old flange and weld it back together once it is on the new pipe.
I don't know the thinking back then, but all the trucks had a large headpipe and a much smaller tail pipe. Why? I don't know, but that is the way they were made.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 am

I agree, looked like a good exhaust setup

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:27 pm

That's reassuring. Thanks guys!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:31 am

Bryon, I think you are in for a battle getting the flange over the bends in the exhaust pipe. I've always had to cut the pipe to get them off old ones, and took the flange to the muffler shop to have them put it on the pipe before flaring the end. As far as the tailpipe, it may work, but I don't think it's stock. The 2-1/2" inlet to the muffler would have an area of 4.908 inches. A 1-1/2" outlet would only be 1.767". I believe the stock tailpipe was 2". I have an original tailpipe clamp from an L that used the same muffler, and I'll measure it tomorrow and see.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:04 am

Here's an original tailpipe clamp. Looks like 2" pipe to me.

P1100136.JPG

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:57 am

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info and taking the time to measure your clamp. I was able to cut my old flange off and get it on the new pipe. Bit of a pain but I got it on and tig welded the seam.
I was wrong about the tail pipe. I ran a tape measure across it the other morning and thought I saw 1 1/2 inch, but I've since noticed it is stamped 1.750, so its actually a 1 3/4 tailpipe. I may mess with it later and see if everything lines up.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:58 am

So the exhaust I got isn't even close to correct. I am talking to the shop that made it, and they are asking for photos of the old pipes. Unfortunately there wasn't much of of an exhaust existing when I got the truck, so I don't have any photos. Does anyone happen to have pictures of the underside of an A110 or similar series, with a somewhat original style exhaust? I'd like to send them something so they can see what I am shooting for. I searched the internet but didn't find much.
I appreciate the help!
Thanks!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:58 am

From what I have gathered I am almost certain the exhaust I received is for an L110 and not an A110. I found a page from an L-series manual and it looks identical to what I received.
I bought the system from Waldron Exhaust in Michigan. They tried their best but information is very difficult to find for this A-series, so there wasn't much they could do. They did try though, and their work quality looked very good. They just didn't have the right patterns. Not their fault. I shipped it back and they are going to refund my money.
I was able to have a pipe bent here locally based on what I had left of the old one and it fits perfectly.
I just wanted to follow up on this for future reference.

Bryon

Return to A, B, C and D Series