Carb Spacer Questions

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:42 pm

Carb Spacer Questions

Hi all,

My A110 didnt have the proper carb on it when I got it. I've found the right Holley 1904 for it (thanks Mike!). I noticed in my parts book the it should have a spacer between the the manifold and carb, in addition to the gaskets. I'm sure I'll never find an NOS spacer, but has anyone heard of an aftermarket vendor that makes these? I've found some stuff online regarding 1904s on Fords, but not sure if they're the same.
My studs seem to be close to 3 inches on center, and the intake is around 1 3/4 inside diameter. I see a lot of 2 3/4 on center gaskets etc, so maybe that is the dimension I need to seek out. A bit confused on where to find this, so any insight would be great!
Thanks, and I hope you guys all have a nice holiday!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Carb Spacer Questions

I think the carbking could fix you up
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:26 pm

The spacer would be an International part, rather than a carburetor part; so I have no part number or source.

Spacers are quite easy to fabricate.

One first needs to identify the thickness of the spacer, and then determine WHY a spacer was used. Typical reasons for use would be: (A) isolation of the carburetor from manifold heat (not generally a good idea on an inline 6), and (B) height necessary to allow linkage to function.

If (A) above, then fabricating from an insulating material (gasket material and stack to correct height, thermoplastic, or even hardwood).
If (B) above, any in sentence above, plus aluminum.

Lots of spacers in the 1940's and 1950's were simply a stack of mounting gaskets, which is probably the easiest.

The mounting holes in the spacer should match the holes in the carburetor. Both 2 11/16 and 2 15/16 inches were standard sizes.

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks for all the help guys! My stud spacing is 2 15/16. I spoke to Dashman hotrod and they make spacers in this size. I have one on the way and will update everyone on how it works out. As for base gaskets it looks like those for a Carter YF will fit. I have those on the way too and will let you know how they fit.
Thanks again!

Bryon

Return to A, B, C and D Series