Hose Cross Reference

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Hose Cross Reference

This is probably a long shot but does anyone know of a cross reference that I could use to find radiator hoses? I have the IHC numbers from the parts book. All the parts stores list are flex hoses, which I do not want. I doubt a store will let me browse through their hoses to find something that would fit, so it may be difficult to find these. Its for a 1959 A110 with a BD240....
Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!
Bryon

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Re: Hose Cross Reference

The flex hose is not a bad idea. The design resists collapsing under high fluid speed and lowered pressures. My bigger concern would be to put the tightener for the clamp on the underside of the hose so it is less visible. I like the better slipper clamps made by LAWSON PRODUCTS. these clamps are required for silicone hose to help prevent cuttings into the hose.
If you have some money to spend I would suggest using the GATES 3720 GREEN STRIPE. The GATES 3720 Green Strip clamps have a compensating spring system that should help to keep the clamps tight. PLUS, they look really good and have the slipper..
https://www.carid.com/gates/green-strip ... 32720.html
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:31 am

Thank you Nikki. I like the idea of those clamps. I'm going to get them ordered.

Bryon

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:59 pm

If you use the GATES 32720, use a little caution when tightening the clamps. It is tempting to overtighten the clamp and crush the radiator connection. The castiron engine connections will take a lot more tightening..
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:14 pm

I've refrained from posting because I don't have experience with this model, however I deal with "odd ball" stuff all the time.
1) don't rule out browsing the autoparts store's stock. Ask!
2) Ask if they have a paper buyers guide for their hoses, they will have pic's and dim in the book.
3) depending on how much room you have to work with, using metal piping and straight hose may be an option. Most heavy trucks (at least until recently) used this method.
Marmon used exhaust tubing that was pre bent as radiator piping, two 90 deg bends were welded together to form a outlet pipe. If you are worried about the hose coming off under pressure, you can either use a bead roller to make a bead on the end, or braise or weld some wire to form a bead.
Straight radiator hose is far better and longer lasting than pre-formed, and in most cases is rated for steam. It is available in conventional and Silicone hose.
It all depends on how much room you have.
I should add, my Napa lets be browse their stock and often ask me to come show them when they don't know the terms of what I am asking for.
Even my 9670 uses 90 deg pipe and short leinth of straight hose for the engine return and a preformed pipe for the outlet, again with straight hose, far better than pre formed, and more resistant to oil and chemicals.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Copy and paste into your search engine:

Molded Coolant Hose Identification Guide

molded-coolant-hose-id-guide_napa-interchange-final_lr.pdf
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:58 pm

http://www.napabeltshose.com/~/media/na ... nal_lr.pdf
Clicking here, will get you there!
Thanks Scott

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:17 pm

Awesome info!!!
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Bryon

Return to A, B, C and D Series