Turn Signal Switch 1961 B112

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 am

Turn Signal Switch 1961 B112

Having a problem with turn signals and stop lights. Before I take the steering wheel off to look at the turn signal switch, I thought I'd check and see if there are new ones available. Ebay has 1 used switch that looks a bit warn out. I'm not seeing others. Does anyone know if there is a crossover part number or source for these? I think the switch number I need is 132161R91. Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm

Re: Turn Signal Switch 1961 B112

What kind of problems are you having and have you made sure it is the switch that is at fault? A quick Google search shows they are available but for "stupid" money.
I'd be **** sure it is the switch, and not something easily repaired before even considering spending that type of money. You can buy a Manual switch (non self canceling) like they use in Semi's for much less.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 12, 2021 1:38 pm

I still do not know for sure, but the little Google search I did makes me tin the turn signal switch in your IH looks like the common GM Saginaw. If that is so, the parts are available from your GM parts guy.
I have a GM Saginaw steering, tilt column in my 1940 Ford. I bought a new switch at NAPA. The switch was under $50.
I found a good wiring diagram with Google. Rather than mess with the Saginaw slightly clumsy wire connector, I used WEATHERPAC.
https://www.usrpc.com/product/turn-sign ... ing-colum/
https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/a ... jAQAvD_BwE
Attachments
steering column new wire harness.jpg
SAGINAW TILT2.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed May 12, 2021 6:20 pm

Yes I saw an unused switch for crazy $$$. I'm trying to keep it original looking so will try to avoid the clamp on aftermarket style. The one you show in the picture looks like the one I'll try first. Can you give me the part number of the Weatherpac connector or a photo? In the link you sent, the first connector shows a minimum quantity order, so if I can get just one connector from another source, that's what I'd like. Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 12, 2021 8:02 pm

https://www.grote.com/electrical-connec ... s/84-2053/
Just about any reasonable auto parts store should be able to supply Weather-pack. Something to consider, you will need a dedicated crimping tool for Weather-Pack. Weather-Pack need seals for the connectors. They are about 10 cents each.
I have the DELPHI (Weather-Pack) crimp tool and another from MAC TOOLS. The MAC crimper was about $40. The Delphi crimper can be over $250.I prefer the MAC.I got my DELPHI crimper for free. The second hand store thought it was missing parts.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... structions

I hope this helps. I used GOOGLE to search for these links.
Attachments
CRIMPERS 3.jpg
The center crimp tool is MAC. The crimper on the right is DELPHI.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm

I am going to ask my question again: Why do you think the switch is at fault? While a turn signal switch CAN fail electrically it is uncommon for it to do so.
I can't remember when I had to replace one for an electrical fault. I have replaced them for a mechanical fault, failure to remain in selected position, failure to cancel on self canceling column switches, broken handles and the like.
Not saying it can't happen, just that it is unlikely to be the cause of lights not working the way they should. SO what are you observing and why do you think the switch is the cause? There are far more common faults that can cause the lights not to work or work in a odd way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 pm

I have to agree with CB89. I have bought and sold 50 Saginaw tilt steering columns. I thought five of them should have a new switch. I did replace the original switches in two of the three I kept for my projects. I just wanted new.
I bought a Scout tilt column from SCOUT PLUSS. This steering column is a SAGINAW/GM. It does not have the shift lever on the column.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 13, 2021 3:11 pm

I talked to a friend west of here and he has a B120. He said there is an inline fuse under the dash a head of the steering wheel. He did say right by the flasher unit. Check them first and see if the brake light switch is working. He had similar problem as posted above.
BTW the lowest price I found in the link. OUCH
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373538961624?_ ... 0667.m2042

Return to A, B, C and D Series