BD240 Timing Cover Seal

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 15, 2020 11:44 am

BD240 Timing Cover Seal

Hi guys,

I was talking to my buddy Kevin from the forum and I asked him about the seal in his timing cover. Mine, a 1959 BD240, is just a felt seal. The cover is made with a groove to accept the felt, and my Fel-Pro gasket set came with a new felt seal. I attached a photo. Kevin mentioned his had a lip seal. I was wondering if you guys have had much experience with these felt seals. Do the seal well? I am taking the advice given here and having the block machined to accept a one piece lip seal for the rear main, and started thinking about the front seal. If they don't seal very well, do I have options, like modify my cover, or replace it with a later model that takes a lip seal? Of course if the felt seals are decent I won't mess with it.
Attachments
Timing Cover.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: BD240 Timing Cover Seal

As far as the vibration damper and front seal, if you're open to a suggestion - fill the spiral grooves in the vibration damper with JB weld. While it's still setting up, install a speedi-slleeve, I think the part # is CR 99237. Then install seal CR 23782 in the timing gear cover. It'll give you a new surface for the seal and a modern, rubber lip seal. But you'll need to get the inside lip out first.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Re: BD240 Timing Cover Seal

Paul,
That's awesome. Thank you for the suggestion. I was wondering if anyone has modified this before.
I'll most likely do this.
Out of curiosity, did the felt seals do a decent job? I have no experience with them, and was wondering how well they use to work...

Bryon

Return to A, B, C and D Series