BD240 Main Bearing Cap Seals...Help!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:43 am

BD240 Main Bearing Cap Seals...Help!

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice...as usual...
Reassembling our BD240, and I can't seem to get the two rubber seals installed into the rear main bearing cap halfs. I have attached photos to better explain.
These are the two tapered rubber pieces that get pushed into the sides of the number 4 main bearing cap to seal the seams. I get them 3/4 of the way in and they stop. I ruined one of them already as well, so I have to try to find a set, which I am sure will be fun....
The book says to make a tool out of welding rod, but these are so tight I am sure welding rod would bend. I attempted to use an allen wrench with the ball type end, but had no luck and ended up punching through the end of one of the seals....
Is there a trick to this that anyone is aware of?
Also, my parts manual shows what looks like a rope seal installed, as opposed to the rubber ones that came with my kit and are depicted in my maintenance manual. I think I recall removing a rope type seal as well.... Could I be using the wrong seals...
Thanks in advance for any help! This has me frustrated...

Bryon
Attachments
Eng Seal Book.jpg
Eng Seal book1.jpg
Eng Seal.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:59 am

Re: BD240 Main Bearing Cap Seals...Help!

I just noticed that this rear main seal kit comes with two different sized side seals. I wonder if my kit had seals that are too large... The site (Rock Auto) shows this for a later serial number, but maybe that's the issue...
Attachments
Seal.jpg

Return to A, B, C and D Series