Random King Pin Question....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:03 am

Random King Pin Question....

Just curious about something, and thought one of you guys may know...
While installing a new set of king pins on our 59 A112, I noticed my maintenance manual states to only install the wedge pins so that the nut and lock washer faces forward. Any idea way? I see no difference between the front and back when looking at the wedge pin holes. In fact, I can't see a difference in the front or back of the entire axle assembly. It looks like it could be installed either why. I am going to install the pins as the book states, but it has me wondering what I am not seeing, and worried that I can install the the axle backwards.... Its an FA1 axle.
Also, anyone know where I can find draw keys? IHC PN - 80 866 R1. They look to be about 3/8 diameter, just shy of 2 inches long. New ones came in my kit, but I ruined one, and haven't come across much online for a replacement.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:25 am

Re: Random King Pin Question....

I don't know the answer to your question about why the nut faces forward, but I'd assume there's a reason if the manual specifically says that's the way it goes. As far as whether there's a difference between the front and back of the axle, I'm just guessing, but would guess that while the axle is straight across, there is some kingpin inclination to set the caster.

I hate to recommend or even post this answer to your "where do I get a new draw key" question because this place is so incredibly overpriced. But if you have to have it, and nothing else can be found, then https://travelallparts.com/Key_Draw_Kin ... ock/p16983

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:39 am

Byron, I have some of them, I will measure and email you a couple pics

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:38 pm

If you have to, try this and ask for measurements. https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=C5TZ-3111-C
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Just a follow up in case anyone is wondering in the future about the direction of the draw keys question I had. From the way it looks, if the keys are not installed with the nuts facing forward, I think they will interfere with the backing plates when the wheel is turn to extremes. If the nuts face aft they may even interfere with the stop screws that thread into the backing plates and rest on the axle when the steering is turned all the way. Even when installed correctly (nuts facing forward) a low profile, thin nut is required to avoid hitting the backing plates.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:49 am

Thanks for clarifying! That's good to know.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Return to A, B, C and D Series