Such a thing as a factory rear bumper?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:22 pm

Re: Such a thing as a factory rear bumper?

Thanks, Kevin. That looks sorta like the original one shown in the manual, doesn't it. I am considering using a stock front bumper on the rear but I've been wary of it because it is more than a foot wider than the stepside box. But the one in your photo is that wide too and it looks all right, so maybe I will.
    1960 B112 V8 stepside
    1966 Triumph TR4A IRS
    1993 Miata LE -- daily driver

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 am

I just took delivery of a chrome factory rear bumper that I found through a FB forum. It is the same general style as the front bumper but is more sculpted, especially where the license plate mounts. It needs some metal bumping, which I will have to learn how to do on such thick steel, but the chrome is good enough for now. I may rechrome it later and have the front bumper chromed at the same time. I do have to fab mounting irons and find license-plate lamps -- the bolts are only 1 7/8" center to center, which is much smaller than commonly available new lamps.

My truck is going to be black and persimmon red, so chrome bumpers and shiny hub caps will offset all the black a bit.
    1960 B112 V8 stepside
    1966 Triumph TR4A IRS

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Cool , How bout some pics? Was that factory for you truck?
Not sure, I think the bumpers are wider is to protect the fenders when in reverse.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:14 am

I will try to add a photo of my pickup but it is not very photogenic at this point, more of a rat rod in waiting. Although I am not rat rodding it, I am staying stock except for safety upgrades, such as front discs that I am assembling parts for at the moment and an SV345 that I'm prepping for installation.

I have read that chrome bumpers were an option and have seen them on pickups and Travelalls. The factory rear bumper is a bit wide for a stepside but still looks all right. I assume it was wide so that it would also fit the Bonus Load box, which of course wider at the rear than the stepside.

-Mike
    1960 B112 V8 stepside
    1966 Triumph TR4A IRS

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:05 pm

Oh, you would like to see a photo of the rear bumper. I will take some.
    1960 B112 V8 stepside
    1966 Triumph TR4A IRS
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series