RA5 Differential and Leaf Springs

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am

RA5 Differential and Leaf Springs

Hi,

I have been struggling to source a few parts for our 59 A110, and was hoping you guys might have some insight on potential vendors. I need to replace the ring and pinion set on what I believe is an RA5 rear differential (based on the info from the line setting sheet). I have been on Google for the last few days searching everywhere, and have yet to find any solid info. I don't see anything that looks like a part number on the ring gear either, so I am pretty lost. Searching the number stamped on the third member doesn't yield any Google search results either... It does have 3.73 etched into it, so at least I know the ratio....

I am also struggling to find leaf springs. The ones removed seem to be two different springs (pic attached) I'm not sure which one is correct. I contacted a local spring shop and he gave me part number of 55-643 as a replacement, but said he can't get them. I've searched the internet for this number and have found very little as well.

If anyone has insight on sources that may sell this stuff I'd appreciate it. I have been searching like crazy and am making little progress.

Thanks!

Bryon
Attachments
Diff.jpg
Diff1.jpg
leaf.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:50 am

Re: RA5 Differential and Leaf Springs

I found a number on the ring gear of 65690-r. The only other numbers on it are for the ratio and type of steel its made from....
I'd really like to replace the ring and pinion, as well as the spider gears. They are a bit worn and have pitting. I found all of the seals and bearings, but zero luck on the gears...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:46 pm

Is it possible the spring set with the extra nearly flat leaf came off the left side?
The bunk-house rumour suggests there was extra spring on the left side to allow for the driver and for the left side a full fuel tank on the L-R-S. I am not familiar with your truck model tank location.
Like Bill Maher says, "I don't know it is a fact, I just know it is true". https://youtu.be/7Udcj9zBokI
Maybe you are ready to consider a Ford Explorer 8.8 for this application. The width is close enough and the bolt pattern is the same. Parts are readily available for the 8.8 If you find any used parts for the original IH differential, those parts will be as old and possibly as worn out as what you have. I hope you get some joy in the parts search, you may be at it forever.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:18 pm

I agree with nikki on the 8.8, the 3.73 is to hard to find. I cannot see what's wrong with it in the pics, the eyes are to old.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:32 pm

As far as rear gears are concerned, unless is has spalled thru the hard surface, run what you got. A little staining from corrosion isn't going to hurt much. At any rate it isn't going to make life any more difficult if you run to failure, and it is very unlikely to fail if it has good bearings and oil.
Most diffs fail from lack of lube or bearing failure to the point it passes some metal through the gears, it is hard to wear a set of gears to the point of failure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:29 pm

I agree with CB89. Modern gear lubrication is many times better than 60 years ago.
I use Schaefer GL5 synthetic. I put 225,000 miles on a Dana 44/60 combination, with this gear oil. Hang onto the counter when you get the price. It used to be over $60/liter.
EDIT: I just looked up pricing. 75/140 synthetic is $167.00 per liter. Maybe not for everyone.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:20 pm

With my axles taking over 5 gal US, I don't think I'll be springing for that synthetic.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes. $3340 is lots of money for one fill.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks guys!
I've decided to run the existing gears. They dont look terrible, I just wanted to change them since I'm into it now. I am replacing all bearings and seals though.
As far as the leaf springs, the extra helper leaf is on the left, but the fuel tank is on the right. I think I'm going to contact a spring shop here in Pittsburgh and see if they can build me a set .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:58 am

On another post Paul has had gook luck with this shop
http://www.saintlouisspring.com/
Next

Return to A, B, C and D Series