Split Rims

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:25 pm

Re: Split Rims

Re torque wrench, you can use the wrench on the final tightening of the nuts, after all are snug and the wheel is proved to be running true.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:10 pm

CB, I understand, that all makes sense to me. Thank you.
I just re-watched half a dozen videos on how to r & r wheels on Dayton hubs. Three videos definitely used an impact two of which also used a hammer to hit the rims, two videos just said to tighten them but did not say how, and one video said "they always wobble some that's why they don't make them any more". Only about half the videos showed their method of checking if the tires run true, one video said nothing can be done about it, and two videos said it only matters if you plan to take the truck on the highway. For me if I can't take my truck on the highway, its rather useless. So much mis-information ....

What about their removal? One video insisted the tires must be deflated before removing them from the hubs and the other videos did not say either way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm

As long as there is no problem with the lock-ring there is no reason to deflate before removing. I don't like using an impact to remove the nuts, If they are that tight you risk snapping the stud and then you have a big job, better to slit the nut if it is too tight to remove with hand tools. There are different torque values for the different size studs used. 3/4x 10 TPI (the largest stud used on spokes) should only be torqued to 240 ft/lbs. Buying a new nut is a lot cheaper and easier than replacing a stud!
Obviously, if a tire or rim shows damage you want to deflate before working on them.
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series